Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montefortino side plumes?
Does anyone know of any Montefortino helmets with tubes or other mounts for side-plumes found in a Roman context? I've seen some apparently found in Celtic contexts.
Pecunia non olet
I know you're looking for actual examples of helmets, but here is a depiction of a Montefortino with side plumes on a 3rd c. BC proxeny decree for a Roman from the Sicilian city of Entella. Items depicted on proxeny decrees are usually associated with the individual receiving the honour, and so this helmet is very likely Roman.

http://antiquemilitaryhistory.com/image ... roxeny.jpg
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
That is not a montefortino but an etrusco corinthian or chalcidian helmet.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:That is not a montefortino but an etrusco corinthian helmet.

M.VIB.M.

How do you come to that conclusion?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
I would unhesitatingly identify that as a Montefortino, with typical cheekpieces.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Yup, looks like the "Full Monty" to me, too! Even has the cabled rim. Cool, never seen that relief before! Love the feathers.

OH!! Oh, heck--It's got THREE FEATHERS, just like Polybius says...

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I'm surprised you were unaware of this relief, Matt.....it has been discussed before a couple of times long ago.......even Duncan Head now accepts that this more likely represents what Polybius meant, than the rather strange 'guesstimate' with the strange looking 'tuft' he illustrated in AMPW and widely copied elsewhere - see e.g. Igor Dzis' illustration of magnesia in AW ( which I debated with him at the time......I had to wait twenty years to see who was right in that particular debate......I'm still awaiting new evidence to settle many others :lol: :lol: :lol: )

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I base my idea about this helme on the Greek lettering and on the basis of my understanding the depicted helmet on the relief cannot imho be any other helmet than

this type :

[Image: 41183.jpg]

And not:

[Image: 41234.jpg]

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Well, Henk, I think you need to look at a front view.......the ridge prominent on 'Chalcidian' types is missing, as is the brow 'V'. Furthermore cheekpieces of the type shown are not generally seen on Chalcidian types ( I think we can rule out 'Etrusco-Corinthian/Apulo-Corinthian') but they are absolutely typical of Montefortino types......

Paul McDonnell-Staff
That is true, however the typical knob of virtually all montefortino types is missing, and judging from the helmets from the Guttman collection, there are no montefortinos which have the same attachment tubes for plumes. also, the ridged depiction of the helmet brow suggest some other helmet than a montefortino.
It could even be a Negau type with cheek plates...

Check this link for the helmets i was talking about earlier.

edited by moderator due to violation of forum rule #4

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Hmmm, I can see a trace of a knob with a feather in it in the relief Henk.
This has been discussed before and was pretty unanimous as to being a Monte. :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Also, the one you have identified as a Chalcidean, looks more like an attic helm, but I have noticed a few people identifying that as a chalcidean...why the change?
Chalcideans have a v in the rim, and usually rounder and mostly fixed cheek pieces do they not?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That there is consensus does not mean i have to agree, LOL

early Chalcidics had rounded fixed cheekplates indeed, i do not know when the hinged type came into fashion Smile

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
But no 'V' in the brow.....Attic..... :mrgreen:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
True, more of an attic type indeed... Tongue i went with the description of the auctioneers site.. LOL Mea culpa...

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.