Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica segmentata from Caerleon
Quote:Wow, do I see a breast plate on the right in the last photo in that link, Vindex?
With the neck cutout??
Or am I just thinking wishful thoughts.... Confusedmile:

Apologies - been without internet for a couple of days...

Hmm...more than just wishful thinking I feel as if it IS a hinge, it's a relatively big one so it may be associated with the top of the shoulder and therefore front or back "neck".

Can't wait to see the x-rays!!!

Thank you for the update Louise, and to Julia too. Really important work I think.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
No need to thank me, I'm just the messenger!

I know that hardly anyone on here is near to Cardiff, but just in case, Julia, with a contribution from Evan Chapman, is giving a lunchtime talk about the conservation of the armour on November 2nd at National Museum Cardiff
http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/whatson/?event_id=5358

There's also going to be a behind the scenes visit to the lab on November 22nd
http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/whatson/?event_id=5373
Julia won't be there for that one, as her internship with us is about to come to an end, and she has just been awarded an internship in the US for 4 1/2 months - well done, Julia!

It won't be the end of the armour story, as Penny will be continuing the blog as she works on the Moi's favourite, the copper alloy scale, and there is obviously more to do on the iron. I'm sure there will be more blog from Julia before she leaves, too.
Louise Mumford
WOW! Well done Julia - that's a feather in her cap. Big Grin

The 2nd is in the diary...think I'd better add the 22nd too (if I still have a job anyway!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks_ in the diary!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
something new today:
http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/blog/?cat=406
the whole thing is nice hope to hear more of it
is almost "live"
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
You got there before me!
This is her last week with us, so she's working hard on the last few entries...
Louise Mumford
I am waiting for the intervention of the gods to make this talk now...NOT a happy bunny. How do you tell your boss that Paleolithic flint DOES NOT START to compare with LS????? :roll:
Moi Watson

mmmm cookies today too
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
And finally...
On her last day with us, Julia has uploaded the last post of her blog.
http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/blog/

An outstanding student and a pleasure to work with, we will really miss her!

Are there any RAT people in Tucson, Arizona?
Louise Mumford
Thank you once again and sadly for the last time (for Julia anyway) Confusedad:

I'd be VERY interested to know why the segmentata has deteriorated so much in the soil whereas the scale has survived much better. Clearly a difference in the composition of the iron used in some way - any thoughts, Louise?

And yes, I am sure there's someone on here who hails from Tucson (or pretty close).

Edited to Add: I've failed miserably to ditch the Paleolithic flint so unless there is an act of God (ie LOTS of rain) I wont make it to the talk on Wendesday. Ratus maximus Confusedad:
Moi Watson

Quote:And finally...
On her last day with us, Julia has uploaded the last post of her blog.
http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/blog/

An outstanding student and a pleasure to work with, we will really miss her!
Indeed, sterling work on this important find which deserves all our thanks (as, incidentally does the enlightened NMoW policy of blogging the process, the modern equivalent of the few manky photos we had to work with to decipher the Corbridge Hoard unpacking process).

I am slightly intrigued by one of the X-rays producing tantalising hints of plate terminals seen here (much more faintly than the ring, so perhaps only surviving in the ferrous plate and lacking the copper-alloy sheathing seen elsewhere):
[Image: Tie-ring.jpg]
which reminds me of finds from other sites:
[attachment=1993]plate_terminals.jpg[/attachment]
It has to be said that the Carlisle Millennium X-rays often promised more than was actually found, even by the most careful examination, so I think mineralised 'ghosts' of features may be all that remains.

Sadly, not the sexiest lorica seg X-ray I have seen. That distinction goes to the Plantation Place rotating animation that the Museum of London produced. Enough to make a grown man whimper... Confusedhock:

As to why it has deteriorated so much, better-qualified people than me (Dr Thomas, where are you?!) may tell you it is all to do with the acidity of the soil. Corbridge, also on a well-drained river terrace, is very sandy and consequently iron and steel always suffer there.

Mike Bishop

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The ring looks very much like the newstead ones?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The ring looks very much like the newstead ones?
In order both to bump this back into the collective RATsciousness and answer the question, yes it does, probably because it was a Newstead-type cuirass! ;-) These rings are everywhere – I even found one in the Housesteads collection the other day – and there is a useful paper on them:

Kleiser, C. 2009: 'Schliessösen vom Schienenpanzer', Römisches Österreich 32, 85–102

above and beyond and as well as the obvious section in Dr Thomas' book.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 610 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,130 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 655 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong