Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing that trebuchet
Maybe there are limits to reenactment:<br>
<br>
Two Charged After Human Catapult Death<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp<br>
LONDON (Reuters) - British police charged two men with manslaughter Tuesday following the death of an Oxford University student who was flung from a giant catapult.<br>
<br>
Bulgarian Konstadin Yankov, 19, died last November when the stunt near the West Country town of Bridgewater went wrong.<br>
<br>
"He had been thrown by a replica medieval catapult and failed to reach the landing net," said a police spokeswoman.<br>
<br>
Yankov was on an outing with the Oxford Stunt Factory, an unofficial club at Oxford University where he was studying biochemistry. He had been the sixth person that day to be launched from the "trebuchet" catapult.<br>
<br>
Organizers said at the time Yankov had been properly weighed and that the machine had been correctly calibrated before he was fired in a 30-yard arc. They did not know what had gone wrong. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Hilarious! Just last night on Fox, I was watching one of those "Stupidest Moments Caught on Tape" shows, and there was a group of "rocket scientists" (sarcastically typing here) who, after testing their trebuchet with sacks, decided to launch people. The first test subject was the fiancee of the head trebuchet engineer. She hit the net, bounced in the air and then hit the ground 30 feet below. Needless to say, she was hurting. She also broke up with the dude. Funny thing- they were also English...what are they putting in that Yorkshire pudding these days...?<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Sounds like somebody watched their Masada tapes one too many times.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
It's the same bunch of idiots I think Frank. Not content with smashing up their wives they flung this student to his doom as well <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Wow- if that is true, I don't know whether to laugh or be very, very afraid...<br>
<p></p><i></i>
makes you wonder what they were thinking when they started it... <p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Granted, it's dumb enough to ask a person to be used as a projectile for a medieval trebuchet.<br>
But it's even dumber to accept..<br>
I think this one qualifies for the Darwin Awards..<br>
The scary part is that those guys will soon become biochemists. What kind of funny experiments can you perform, when you're a biochemist? <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>The scary part is that those guys will soon become biochemists. What kind of funny experiments can you perform, when you're a biochemist? <hr><br>
<br>
well, before i changed to IT, i was a (bio)chemist (yes both). I can think of several funny experiments <br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
a few years ago there was an anti-globalisation-demo at Quebec City where some of the young protesters had a pseudo-Roman catapult..... but it didn't do its job very well... <p></p><i></i>