Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scipio Africanus 1937 film
I have to review this classic film. It is "Scipio Africanus: The Defeat of Hannibal", filmed in 1937 Italy. The film is available on DVD, 85 minutes long in black and white.<br>
This was a film financed by the fascist government of Mussolini. There are 1000's of extras in the battle scenes, hundreds og horses and dozens of elephants. If you are against animal cruelty, the actual stabbing of the elepants will be disgusting to you. Some were maimed and killed in the film, they didn't have much in the way of special effects and computer graphics in 1937.<br>
The film work is very good for this time period, and compares with filmwork of the 1950's. The DVD is dubbed in English.<br>
Costuming goes from not bad to horrible, in the light of modern knoweldge, but again for the mid 1930's it was considered accurate! Leather laminata (segmentata), rectangular scutum, strange helmets.... and I won't mention the tunics, it is after all, a black and white film!<br>
<br>
The most interesting part for me is the mass battle and marching scenes, where 1000's of extras move in lines, squares, columns, and into contact with the enemy, without being in cadenced step! That's right! They are NOT in step, yet they manage to move as solid groups and look decent doing it. The film makers also had lots of horns for signalling, but no drums. They also used bodypaint for the Numidians. The battle scenes are not too bad, and many of the horsemen have no stirrups!<br>
This would be a really interesting film to rewrite and make in the light of modern rersearch and knowledge, but as it stands it would make an interesting addition to a Roman video library. It is about $30. ISBN 1-57299-955-1<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I ordered this from Amazon in VHS based on your comments. I found it fascinating. Thanks for mentioning it!<br>
<br>
David <p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
I found a copy of this on Ebay and secured it for $13.06 - very happy. Can't wait for it to arrive - looking forward to seeing it again.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scipio Africanus- B. H. Liddell-Hart Bill 1 1,390 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Megas Aleksandros
  Greater than Napoleon, Scipio Africanus Goffredo 8 1,924 11-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Q Rutilius
  Biographies: Scipio Africanus and Julius Caesar StrategyM 0 949 08-16-2002, 11:50 AM
Last Post: StrategyM