Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coptic Textiles from the Whitworth Gallery, Manchester
Quote:Did they say something about Coptic textile printing?

Not quite sure what you exactly mean by printing, but there are 2 pages on resist-dyed textiles reportedly from the 4th or 5th cent. AD in
James Trilling, Andrew Oliver Jr. The Roman Heritage: Textiles from Egypt and the Eastern Mediterranean, 300-600 A.D.
Quote:I know I said to Marton Moser on here ages ago that I'd put some up of the Bolton Museum collection too..

Yep, still looking forward to those as much as when you first spoke about them ;-) )
I'm home on Tuesday Martin, I'll sort you out some images then. Its on my 'to do' list

Things have been really hectic over the last year or so, and I'm now just getting myself sorted with a new career, and possibly a total relocation so I appreciate your patience with my terrible memory!

Can you PM me your postal address and I'll put the lot on a cd for you

Cheers!
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Quote:
Eleatic Guest:3hkxxww8 Wrote:Did they say something about Coptic textile printing?

Not quite sure what you exactly mean by printing, but there are 2 pages on resist-dyed textiles reportedly from the 4th or 5th cent. AD in
James Trilling, Andrew Oliver Jr. The Roman Heritage: Textiles from Egypt and the Eastern Mediterranean, 300-600 A.D.

Thanks. There is also D. KING, Textiles and the origins of printing in Europe, in: Pantheon: Internationale Zeitschrift für Kunst XX, 1962, pp. 23—30 which sounds interesting.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:Can you PM me your postal address and I'll put the lot on a cd for you

Wow! Thanks a lot! PM is on its way!
Quote:Hello All,

Myself and another Comitatus member visited the archive of the Petrie Collection at the Whitworth a while back - photos up online at:

http://s841.photobucket.com/albums/zz33 ... 20Gallery/

They range in date from 4th-10th century - Northern Egypt

I promised the museum they wouldn't be published for commercial use, so please, these are only for educational purposes.

Oh, thanks a lot. Great pictures. Big Grin
Is it possible to add the date of every single tunic? Or is there a special publication about them?

btw: there's also an german network called "Comitatus". Are you connected?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pictures of Coptic textiles - Comitatus museum trip 2008 Cheyenne 3 1,244 04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Cheyenne
  Looking for Roman reenactment group Manchester/Lancs way Geoff Brown 9 3,553 12-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Graham Sumner