Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos
Quote:'Square on ' is an artificial stance taught to American footballers, and I think that Paul B. may be unduly influenced by his American football background into thinking this inherently unstable stance is 'strong'.....

This may well be true

Quote:In a formal scrum the players 'pack down' and invariably, even the players like the 'Props' who pack down with shoulders squared, have one leg forward and one back - what I have earlier called 'three-quarter' stance, or what Cole calls 'classical stance'.

Paul, did you read that long post I did above on stances. You now have me confused, because if you are pushing like a rugby player with both shoulders facing your foe, one leg forward and one leg back, they you are in what I labelled by the term used in archaeology for vases, the striding stance. I told you this was basically the same as your 3/4 because there is minimal shift between them. If my striding stance, your 3/4 and cole's classic are all the same stance we are all in agreement. Whether one leg is back or not is not important, because in the crowd, as in those videos, your legs will have to come closer together. Or conversely if they are able to hold a 45 degree body position is some way, then the difference evaporates the other way. So in terms of stance, you and I are saying the same thing.

My concern is with a full side-on stance -vs- all others. This is why I want to see what Cole is doing. My interest here has nothing to do with crowds, for either way they stand, they are a crowd. I am curious because a full side-on stance isolates the shield from the body and would allow asphyxiation if files press together.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pushing from Classical Sources - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Re: Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos - by PMBardunias - 09-18-2010, 02:37 AM
Re: Responding to your questions - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM