Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmets without browguard (Stirnbügel)
Alexander,

With respect to your helmet, I believe only inspection of the actual helmet may solve the issue. Based on the photos in Robinson and Militaria Sisciensia, it is possible but not proven that a brow guard was fitted. On all the spots where holes for fitting a brow guard would be located, the material appears to be damaged/restored. To me the general design would make a brow guard more likely than not.

As to helmets without brow guard, all of the "Weisenau-Guttmann" type helmets appear to lack a brow guard (Imperial Gallic IGC 02*, Imperial Gallic IGC 04, Imperial Gallic IGC 05, Imperial Gallic IGG 06, Imperial Gallic IGB 02 (=Imperial Italic IIB 01), and the helmet in the Gimbel private collection which was sold in 1904), the Imperial Gallic IGC 03 appears to be another open case. Also those helmets which may be Roman or Celtic Port type helmets (Agen-Port APB 01 - 05, Reka tomb no. 11 (Slovenia), Thür (Germany), Ribemont-sur-Ancre, Gondole, Mont Beuvray (Bibracte), Nievre (all France)) or "Eastern Celtic" (cremation grave at Siemiechow in July 1982 on the Warta River (Poland)) appear to lack brow guards or have integral brow guards. Further, some of the "Imperial Italic" tpyes either lack separate brow guards (Imperial Italic IIB 01, the two helmets from Pompeii), have integral brow guards (Imperial Italic IIF 01?) or are similarly unclear cases (such as the helmets from Hofheim and Gelduba and the later helmet from Theilenhofen).

Note that Montefortino types without brow guard appear to have still been in use during this period (Montefortino MF 01, Montefortino MB 42.)

* I am referring to the nomenclature in the helmet database
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany

Messages In This Thread
Re: Helmets without browguard (Stirnbügel) - by Jens Horstkotte - 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM