Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theilenhofen: A Helmet for 200AD
The Severan period is in a bit of a no-man's-land as far as kit goes. In particular: helmets. My gut tells me that a Third century Auxiliary E, Neidermormter, Heddernheim or Buch is the way to go, but I have one and I really don't want to use it for this impression. To be honest I don't like the things!

I'm considering an Imperial Italic G, Hebron style, or more probably Thielenhofen, which I've read was found dated to 189AD. It would seem to go well with a Lyons-style spatha and baldric suspension system (197AD). I think B+C state the G was used throughout the second century. The Thelenhofen seems to be the closest Italic to 200AD... except ...the Imperial Italic H , which is certainly given a date range that extends to 250AD, but for personal preference reasons, I'd like to give this a miss too.

As you can see I'm keen on either of the Italic G's ...
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Well, I've just picked by Roman Military Equipment 1989 (Shire Archaeology) by Bishop & Coulston, in which they give an account and line drawing of the Theilenhofen helmet in the 3rd century chapter. The line drawing line up includes the Heddernheim, Niedermormter, Theilenhofen and the Buch. The recent RME 2nd edition, however, discusses the helmet as a 2nd century artefact. Puzzling.

This is the helmet in question:
[Image: helm007.jpg]
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Quote:Well, I've just picked by Roman Military Equipment 1989 (Shire Archaeology) by Bishop & Coulston, in which they give an account and line drawing of the Theilenhofen helmet in the 3rd century chapter. The line drawing line up includes the Heddernheim, Niedermormter, Theilenhofen and the Buch. The recent RME 2nd edition, however, discusses the helmet as a 2nd century artefact. Puzzling.

Best explained by comparing the dates of the Shire (1989) and B&C2 (2006) - we changed our minds!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Curse you Mr Bishop ... Smile
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

There is a more fitting helmet for a cavalry impression on the Roman Coins site. The main difference would be the neckplate, which in cavalry models IMHO does not jut out like the one shown but slopes down towards the shoulders, also covering the neck very well but not snapping your neck should you fall off your horse.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
The Theilenhofen helmet was found as a deposit (together with the cavalry helmet) in a stone building of the vicus of the fort of Theilenhofen, the building was destroyed by fire. The floor of the building contained fragments of Antonine sigallata and a coin of Commodus (189 AD), other finds indicate use of the building through the end of the 2nd century and into the first third of the 3rd century. The helmets themselves do not show any traces of a fire and may therefore have been hidden in the building AFTER it had been destroyed by fire. They are PRESUMED to have had a long history of use prior to their deposition and therefore usually dated around the middle of the 2nd century but earlier or later dates are absolutely possible therefore this helmet would definitely be suitable for a post 200 AD impression.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks for that summary Jens, I just could not find an account of the nature of its deposition, but from what you have described I see where the strange date ranges come from, how Mike Bishop could at different times consider the helmet to be from the 3rd century and from the mid 2nd century. Very useful!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

I want to show my reconstruction of a Theilenhofen helmet made by Theo Andela ( http://www.frisius-f.de )
Oderint dum metuant (Gaius Caesar)
Claudius Cirrus/Klaus Locke
VEX LEG XXI RAPAX
Heh, nice! I must get one of these helmets.... I see another in the background there...
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

I got mine from Armamentaria. Looks very similar, well satisfied with it. It was produced by DSC, I believe. Good fit, too!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Yes, I have one too. One of my favourite 'non-gallic' helmets.
I definately feels like you can wear it for combat. Of coursethe brow guard on the DSC is solid, but considering the period, I would imagine a solid pieve would be better defense against the falx. Just opinion though.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
As the browguard was not present in the original and many contemporary browguards found are solid, I would wish to dismiss the "bent plate" ones as an inferiour production shortcut and go for the solid one used in the reconstruction Adrian Wink did with DSC myself (as I have). But that is just my opinion .....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I think I am going to buy one from Armentaria at the end of the month. Just don't tell my wife :roll: :roll:
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

Funny, perhaps Adrian no longer stocks them, wanted to send you a link but couldn't find it on his site. Oh well, pleased with mine ....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Well they were there not long ago.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel