Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reprint of RLK book on Obergermanisch Limes
I note that a reprint is being offered on the followin Der Obergermanisch-Raetische Limes Des Roemerreiches, Volume 40, part 2 I cannot match this numbering sequence. Does anyone know what this volume covers?

Thanks in advance for the help
Quote:I cannot match this numbering sequence. Does anyone know what this volume covers?
As well as being divided into two series (Abteilungen A u. B), the ORL was subdivided into volumes (e.g. Abt. B, Band IV). However, each volume was issued in fascicules (Lieferungen) which are usually bound up together by libraries. I would guess (but I cannot confirm) that you have found fascicule 40 (part of B IV), which was the section on Kastell Osterburken (by Karl Schumacher, 1895). Perhaps you could check with the vendor (in case I am completely wrong :!: )?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:I note that a reprint is being offered on the followin Der Obergermanisch-Raetische Limes Des Roemerreiches, Volume 40, part 2 I cannot match this numbering sequence. Does anyone know what this volume covers?

Duncan is right and you can read it for free here at archive.org. It is part of a trend whereby out-of-copyright books that have been digitized by Google are being offered as print-on-demand reprints. You can also find various chunks of Wikipedia offered in this way, all through the Amazon marketplace. Here's one for 'lorica segmentata' etc taken from WikiP. My view? Why pay for it when you can get it legally for free?!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks to the both of you for the reply and the assistance. Duncan, I did find a copy of Baatz's Archaolgische Ausfluge. It's not exactly like riding the proverbial bicycle, but I have waded through it, much to the amazement of my wife. Care to make a recommendation for yet another?

Gilbert
Quote:Duncan, I did find a copy of Baatz's Archaolgische Ausfluge.
Ah, Der Römische Limes is an excellent little book, crammed with Baatz's wisdom and insight.

Quote:Care to make a recommendation for yet another?
I shall defer to our Continental colleagues, who will have more up-to-date knowledge of German publications. I expect there's lots of new stuff, to tie in with achieving UNESCO World Heritage status.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Ah yeah the Baatz book is pretty good. Recommended Smile
"...atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

????? ???? ?\' ?????...(J. Feicht)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Schlabow Reprint! Carlton Bach 0 698 07-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach
  German book on the Limes Jona Lendering 23 4,351 06-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Cepheus Germanicus