Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon with.....medieval shield!!!!!!!!!!!
The Attic Orphics Kroyssos supports your point Paul.
Kind regards
The pelike was found in Kerch, but the label provided no further information. It was accompanied by another painted pelike of the same date and provenance which showed a Greek wearing an Attic helmet and carrying an Argive shield fighting an Amazon who was also carrying an Argive shield.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:an Amazon who was also carrying an Argive shield

Do you have an image of that one? Big Grin
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:OK,this look suspicious. It isn't completely impossible that such a symbol existed in greece,there are some rather peculiar designs on shields,but i wonder if there is any possibility that it was retouched in medieval times...Do we know anything on the context it was found?
Khaire
Giannis

A retouching was actually my first thought as well. That is why I asked for the date. The design of the cross is just "too" similar to the Templars version. Either they (Templars) lifted it or they (Templars) Retouched it. I would like an analysis of the paints on that vase as I am sure many others would too.

The Shield of the Amazon may have been it's own design too. If there is any truth to the Amazons at all. They did ride horses according to Herodotus and it would make sense to lengthen the pelta for use on horseback. I wouldn't swear by it unless there was evidence though. :|
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Ok, it was'nt fair to blow my mind so early in the morning and before I had a first cup of coffee even! After waking up and giving this some thought and having another look at the image, I am not as blown away now, the cross is simply two intersecting lines and not totally suprising to find such in a pre Christian era. The shield is similar to a medieval period 'heater' shield, but by no means an exact match. The particular shape of the cross pictured is at least somewhat similar to a Templar cross (among other medieval orders), but again it's not an exact match. Still very interesting though. :wink:

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Amazon with a cypriote/Phoenician shield PMBardunias 3 1,946 03-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr