Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Around he gates and ports of city\'s and villages
I always have the idear that port's and gate's especialy of the bigger citys in ancient times would be busy places...
My question is is this tru???

I always envision guards questioning traders and passangers trying to get in, traders sitting on the ground selling their stuff.
Baggers not allowed to get in but trying to get some food or money from people passing by.
Maybe some tax collectors charging a fee for entering...
And what not...

So could all this be backed up by ancient Roman writers?

Or are gates just silent places because everyone wo can would be inside and the others would not want to hang around a place where their not welcome...???

:| roll: :?: :?:
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
I would agree with you on gates being busy. Airports are the modern equivalent and they never shut down except for bad weather but the port also acts as a safe haven for travellers during bad weather. The market district would be fairly close in those days and might even be part of the port itself depending on city. I am going to look for stuff on this as well to have something to add that is backed up by studies/archeology. It is an interesting topic.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Thanks Astiryu

I would love the here what you can dig up on the subject.

Some how RAT didn't notify your responce to me, hence my late reaction... :oops:
Folkert van Wijk
I am unable to find anything in the sources as of yet. I do have a book called "The Art and History of Pompeii" by the printers "Casa Editrice Bonechi"

[url:2eiprtlz]http://www.amazon.com/Art-History-Pompeii-Bonechi-collection/dp/8870094545/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283196792&sr=8-29[/url]

It came with an insert map but I got the book used from a library bookstore.

It states that-
Porta Marina (W. side)- A gate consisting of two passageways. One for pedestrians and another for vehicles and animals. It is surrounded by villas. Later a chamber with a vaulted gallery was built and is there today. pg.10

Porta Ercolano (S.W. Corner)- Is of three passageways; a large one in the center for vehicles and animals and the two on the sides are for pedestrians and also that "It is customary for the cemeteries to extend along both sides of the roads outside the city gates". pg.121

That is about all it has on gates but goes into great detail on the architecture,frescoes, and types of buildings that comprise the city. The map is color coded to explain what types of buildings are where and numbered for reference with book. I would suggest this book to anyone who is interested in the composition of a Roman city. The relative aspect of not being changed over the centuries is very helpful. I hope this helps.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Thank you Astiryu.
I appreciate your input!
Folkert van Wijk
Quote:So could all this be backed up by ancient Roman writers?
If it were the gate of a Greek town (ca. 350 BC), I'd recommend browsing through Aeneas Tacticus. But a Roman one? I'll keep thinking ...
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Ports Lothia 0 239 06-06-2022, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Lothia
  Byzantine Ports Lothia 0 1,494 02-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Lothia
  Roman Ports: Ostia and Portus (Italy) Restitvtvs 2 1,997 04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Yurko