Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Scorpion / Catapult scale reconstruction
Salve all,

Wanted to share my 'mini' catapult / scorpion reconstructions I've been fabricating (quietly) for a few years now - especially considering my perusing this forum over same period is responsible for a good deal of my motivation to see things through.

Or, to put it another way, I hold you guys responsible....

I've decided to place one on EBAY, below is link to auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 287wt_1137

I am also attaching a handful of pics, assuming I am able to follow all rules.

Basic dimension data:

2 sizes - 1/2 scale or Catapult Minimus as I've dubbed it. This has a 38mm modiolus diameter
3/4 scale or Catapult Minor. Modiolus diameter 57mm

Catapult Minimus (little guy):

28" high
24" wide (arm tip to arm tip)
34" long

Weight is 38 lbs.

Dimensioning and engineering data 'developed' using a blend of: Vitruvius / Heron / Philon - with the guidance of Mr. Marsden of course. Alan Wilkins, in my opinion, is as fine as anyone out there in interpretative
skills and applying reason to the issues at hand. And I would be remiss not to mention the outstanding work(s) of your very own Mr. Campbell - his book shines in it's concise, 'linear' breakdown of the entire category of artillery. And I proudly acknowledge incorporating some of Aitor's.... hmmmmm...'wonderfully creative' perspective on things.

Anyway, I've rambled enough, hope you enjoy pics.

Greg
That's some high quality workmanship, sir!
Good job!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I want one on my sailboat (when I get it)!!! Very Nice! Big Grin
I wonder if local authorities will let me fish with it? Big Grin
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Absolutely stunning well done.

Now where did I put the kids college money!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Regards,

Gary.
\\" I just need something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.\\" Q.O.T.S.A

Gary Rodwell
aka Gaius Longius Deva Victrix Chester Garrison
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romantoursuk.com">http://www.romantoursuk.com
Quote:Catapult Minimus (little guy): 28" high / 24" wide (arm tip to arm tip) / 34" long / Weight is 38 lbs.
Very nice workmanship!

If I may quibble with one minor point. A catapulta, being feminine ("little gal"), would be minima. (I keep hearing Bob Peck saying, "Clever girl", for some reason.)

Quote:Alan Wilkins, in my opinion, is as fine as anyone out there in interpretative skills and applying reason to the issues at hand.
Agreed.
Quote:And I would be remiss not to mention the outstanding work(s) of your very own Mr. Campbell ...
You are too kind, Greg. I have simply stood on the shoulders of Schramm, Marsden and Baatz, from where the view is often much clearer.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:(I keep hearing Bob Peck saying, "Clever girl", for some reason.)

Yes! I love Jurassic Park. One of my favorite movies. That raptor 'hunting' scene is one of the best! Big Grin

And excellent work by the way! Wow, simply wow...
Scott B.
Beautiful craftsmanship, kudos!
I see a number of influences and themes.... Marsden & Feely in the base and winch box, Tomb of Vedinnius in the design of the battleplate, defintely Wilkins' cheiroballistra in the claw/trigger and ratchet. Any data on perfomance? I'm just beginning field trials with my interpretation of a 1/2 scale (1.5") Flavian era catapulta. It's just a cheap (mostly pine and plastic) working model on my way to building a full-sized weapon. I'm learning a lot though. Even with only partial tension on the bundles, I'm looking for a bigger field to shoot in.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Very cool! How much for a 1:1 scale? Wink

Legion: TBD
Very nice. The Guard had 2 up at Housesteads last weekend built by Tom Feeney and Len Morgan. Both the same 2 spanners with stands and winch with a slightly different winch on each.
Both worked fine although we had fun not hitting the targets. Certainly not a hand catapult as they needed a stand to span them and would not work slotted onto a shield like our old metal framed one (spanned by belly). Indeed we put a handle on the back of one so you could push down with the left hand and operate the winch with the other.

They would be ideal for boat mounting on the gunwale of a rhine patrol boat which fits in with the find at Xanthen.

Quite rightly Tom and Len avoided the MG42 butt placed on the one in the Xanten museum. Neither recoil nor barrel creep is a problem with tortion artillery
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Quote:the MG42 butt placed on the one in the Xanten museum.
Just an error of judgement. (Pity it has probably start created another catapult-related factoid for a new generation.)
Very nice work. Are you planning on doing more? Just the metal parts would be fine also.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Wow, that is excellent craftmanship!! Some how I've managed to miss this thread!
I see you've applied varnish? Excellent idea as weather is a big problem on displays.

Very nice work.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Greg, I have a couple questions about your design choices for these engines.

First, why did you opt for linear saw-tooth ratchets? Since your base and most other features are Vitruvian, one would expect to see a circular ratchet attached to the winch drums. Marsden, Morgan, Feely, and Wilkins all seem to agree on that point. There is evidence of round ratchets as far back as Ephyra and, to my understanding, none that supports that type on stand-mounted engines after Biton of perhaps Philon. The Cupid Gem distinctly shows a round ratchet as well. Alan Wilkins did include them on his Cheiroballistra, but indicated that he did so because it was safer in case the rope breaks. The only evidence of a linear ratchet in a Roman context is the "C" channel one from Elginhaugh, but that is a totally different type.

Second, it appears that your center stanchion is aligned with the front of your hole carrier rather that with the curved portion that extends to the rear. This appears in Wilkin's writings and designs, but contradicts Marsden. Do you know of any source that suggests which is right? On my prototype, I made the center stanchion run the full depth of the hole carrier, but now after installing the arms I find myself having to cut out a lot of the "meat" of the front portions to gain clearance for the heels of the arms. Unless there is difinitive proof to the contrary, my next one will be recessed per Marsden's text.

Third, the centerline of your arms and the bowstring seem to be directly on a plane with the top of your slider. I know Wilkins says that this alignment is "axiomatic" but I'd like know to the source for this bit of wisdom. This has never been a requirement on crossbows where the bow is usually offset downwards with the string riding along the groove. Marsden's drawing of the gastraphetes (TT P.47) illustrates this point perfectly. Caminreal, Cremona, and the Cupid Gem all indicate that some degree of downwards offset or "underslinging" of the frame was normal. This is another deficiency that I plan to correct in my next version.

All of my nit-picking uber-geek questions aside, I really do admire the time and craftsmanship you've put into these machines. I hope you'll continue to share pics and data here on RAT.
Regards,
Randi/Clodius
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Posted on behalf of Graham Sumner:

Here are some pics of the ESG mini Catapulta.
"Derek and his new Gal!"

[Image: DSC_0565.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0566.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0582.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0876.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Here are some pics of the ESG mini Catapulta.
That's sweet. But d'you think it really needs that stand?! :lol:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELP! Recover pics of Scorpion/Catapult Project groppoman 0 718 10-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Last Post: groppoman
  Scale armor reconstruction lup_alb 2 1,831 01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Last Post: lup_alb