Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legions in Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign
Salve! What evidence is there for the legions that participated in Trajan's Dacian campaigns? I have read online [url:38bhod00]http://www.roman-emperors.org/trajan.htm[/url] that eleven legions were involved. On another website, I read that the following legions (I and II Adiutrix,IV Flavia,VII Macedonica Cladia,V Macedonica ,XIII Gemina,I Italica) were stationed either in or around Dacia in the mid-2nd century, but does this mean that they took part in Trajan's invasion? Also, I have read that the II Triana & the XXX Ulpia were raised to augment the number of legions, but does that mean that they also took part in the invasion of Dacia? Gratias tibi!
Aurelius Falco (Tony Butara)
Hey guys, while speaking of the Dacian campaigns, I have a question regarding Trajans column - how reliant is the depiction of the legionairs on that column? I was just wondering, because there are several depictions of such legionairs that look quite different. An example is here:
http://www.frasdorf.com/legio8/generati ... iones.html

Do you think the impression of the legionair of 100 AD in the link above is (even more) acurate?
Lunico/ Megan H.
Use the search function. Your topic has been covered...a year or two ago I think. Trajan's column should always be checked against other forms of evidence. You'll see why.

Legion: TBD
I have been doing a little more research, and I read on Wikipedia that 13 legions took part in both of Trajan's Campaigns. I can only come up with a partial list of 9 legions.

They are:
1st War
X Gemina
XI Claudia
II Traiana Fortis
XXX Ulpia Victrix

in the 2nd War I read that the IV Flavia Felix,II Adiutrix and a vexallatio of the VI Ferrata took part in the siege of Sarmisegetusa. I also read that the XIII Gemina and the V Macedonica took part in these campaigns. Does anyone know of any more?
Hi Tony

The figure of 13 legions for the Dacian war is often quoted but seldom supported, and I find it implausible. The estimate appears to derive from H.M.D Parker, but he intended it only as a maximum of available forces in the area, not as a proposed actual figure for the campaign force.

This very topic was discussed here recently, and I suggested a list of legions epigraphically attested as participating in one or both of the wars:

Legions of Trajan's Dacian War

You'll find all the details on that thread, with the relevant text from the inscriptions. In precis, though, I believe the following units (and perhaps no others) are confirmed to have been involved:

VII Claudia

IIII Flavia Felix

V Macedonica

I Italica

I Minervia (second war only - commanded by Hadrian)

XIII Gemina

IIII Scythica
(probably a vexillation)

VI Ferrata
(vexillation)

X Gemina (not confirmed, but possible)

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Thank You Nathan! The thread and your list are exactly what I was looking for! I don't like using wikipedia to get my info! Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legions of Trajan\'s Parthian War Nathan Ross 0 3,304 05-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Legions of Trajans Dacian wars marcus ulpius quadratus 17 12,101 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Trajan\'s First Dacian War (101 - 102 C.E.) LvpvsRomanvs 4 4,067 05-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Last Post: jho