Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egypt as a province
What was so different about Egypt that it had to be governed differently than other provinces? Why was it governed by an equestrian prefect? I’ve seen it mentioned that because it was so powerful the Emperors feared it could support usurpers to the throne and an equestrian wouldn’t be considered Emperor material. This seems like a perfectly legitimate reason, but I don’t recall ever reading this in ancient sources.

Also, I have continually read that Egypt was considered, in some fashion obscure to me, as part of the personal property of the Emperor. Again, this makes sense but I don’t remember reading it in primary sources.

Presumably this situation dates back to Augustus. Can anyone recommend some primary sources to check?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Presumably this situation dates back to Augustus. Can anyone recommend some primary sources to check?
Yup. Tacitus, Histories 1.11.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Well, that was easy. Thanks!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Well, that was easy.
Actually, I scratched my head for a bit, David -- and then I remembered. (It's easy ... when you remember! :wink: )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Epictetus:39r3y3wr Wrote:Presumably this situation dates back to Augustus. Can anyone recommend some primary sources to check?
Yup. Tacitus, Histories 1.11.

Adrian Goldsworthy mentions that this policy may have been foreshadowed in Caesar's time. Before leaving Cleopatra to fight his Asian campaign he left three legions behind to garrison Alexandria under the command of Rufio, the son of one of his freedmen. The reason for not choosing a man of senatorial rank, he theorizes, may have had to do with not offending the Alexandrians' sensibilities. A senator would have appeared more like a govenor rather than the commander of the troops. (From Caesar : Life of a Colossus)

~Theo
Jaime