Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'A COMPANION TO THE ROMAN ARMY\', Help needed!
Hi

Is there anyone out there wealthy enough to have bought a copy of Erdkamp, P. (Ed.) (2007): A Companion to the Roman Army, Oxford ?

At the moment I am working on an article and need a page reference to the mention of military clothing. I looked at it when I was last in Foyles bookshop and think there is only a single paragraph on clothing in the whole book! Sadly I have never been able to afford to buy a copy myself and I do not have the time left to get to a library to look for the reference myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi Graham!

The index lists the following references to clothing:
PP; 83, 90-91 ( briefly under "equipment"), 124,27,309-31 ( brief reference to discussion of deductions for clothing in "finances and costs" section),314,465,524,541.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
PM replied to......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Hi Graham,

I quickly went through the publication and the only part devoted to clothing is a short paragraph on page 227. Then there is a short part on pages 230-231 discussing deductions from pay for clothing, etc. The rest seem to be just mentions here and there.

Greetings
Alexandr
Quote:I looked at it when I was last in Foyles bookshop and think there is only a single paragraph on clothing in the whole book!

Be grateful. That's pretty much all military equipment gets. A bizarrely off-kilter (and absurdly over-priced) book: what I call CSE literature (Curate's Scrambled Egg) ;-) )

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks Chaps

That was the information I needed.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
A bit late, Graham, but it's out in paperback in December, for the reasonable sum of £28 odd. Big Grin

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Companion-Roman ... 782&sr=8-1
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A companion to the Roman Army (P. Erdkamp ed.) Titvs Statilivs Castvs 4 1,980 01-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  "Companion to the Roman Army" Jona Lendering 76 25,439 11-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Vincula
  A Companion to the Roman Empire Ioannis 0 1,164 10-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Ioannis