Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My photos of Empuriae, enjoy !!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... be6942cadc

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=71...be6942cadc
Thanks! Is there a date for those slingstones?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Not that i have seen, my Spanish is not that good, however there was a mention of the Roman invasion so they might be republican or Caesarean, They look exactly like the slingshot i saw in the museum in Chur, Switzerland, which had Legionary marks of LEG XIII etc on them. same size, also lead.

Will try to look those up in my photo collection.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:They look exactly like the slingshot i saw in the museum in Chur, Switzerland, which had Legionary marks of LEG XIII etc on them. same size, also lead.
I was reminded of the slingstones in the Palazzo Massimo in Rome, which are of the same age: found in Perugia, they belong to the Triumviral age. But then, what do I know of the development of slingstones?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
i think they might be of that age, they look the same as the ones found in Switzerland from the era it was conquered.

However i am not aware of a triumviral battle in the Empuriae region nor do i know the history of slingshot shapes that well. i only know this particular form, also found at Tarraco and Numantia...

*slingshot in the swiss museum of Chur*

[Image: IMAGE_350.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_349.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_351.jpg]

That Scipio landed in Emporiae is a certainty though....

War in Spain (210-207 BC)
After the Roman defeats at Castulo and Ilorca, the situation in Spain was desperate. The Senate appointed C. Claudius Nero to command there, but his presence was to prove only a temporary affair. In 210 BC the desperation was apparent in the granting of imperium to the young Publius Cornelius Scipio. At only 25 years of age, the legal age for a praetorship, Scipio, likely in sympathy over the death of his father and uncle, was unanimously elected the overall command of the campaign in Spain. He left Rome with an army of 10,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry and like his uncle before him, landed at Emporiae. Consolidating with the remaining forces still left in Spain, he began his campaign with 28,000 infantry and 3,000 cavalry, and would receive no reinforcements from Italy for the remainder of the war.

From his base in Tarraco, Scipio immediately set about boosting the morale of his troops and securing alliances with local Celtiberian tribes. Also scouting the enemy during the winter before his first campaign, he discovered that the Carthaginian forces were not only still divided in three forces, but that in-fighting between them seemed to show a lack of cooperation. Hasdrubal, Mago and Hasdrubal Gisgo each had as many troops as Scipio's single army, but it became apparent that 3 separate campaigns of conquest could be planned. The Carthaginian base of Carthago Nova soon developed as Scipio's first target, with a garrison of 1,000 men he surmised that its defeat would not only be easy, but would be a major blow to the enemy in the heart of its territory.

In early 209 BC, Scipio set out with 25,000 men and 30 ships under the command of Gaius Laelius. Arriving at Carthago Nova in complete surprise, he fortified his own position to protect himself from Carthaginian reinforcements and prepared for the assault on the city. After two attempts to take the city by direct attack, Scipio employed a strategy of assaulting the small garrison from several sides. Completely outnumbered and unable to face the Romans from so many points, a marine force was able to storm the gates and gain entry to the city. At first, the Romans massacred the inhabitants in order to flush out any remaining resistance but when the Carthaginian commander (another Mago) surrendered, Scipio ordered the end of the slaughter.

The capture of Carthago Nova not only drove a wedge into the heart of Carthaginian Spain, it gave the Romans much needed military stores and supplies, access to local silver mines, an excellent harbor and a perfectly positioned base for further operations in southern Spain. Scipio's treatment of the locals once the battle was over was exemplary. Carthaginian citizens were set free and they were allowed to keep their property. Artisans were promised freedom if they continued to work in Roman service. He also recruited heavily among the locals as naval rowers and additional auxiliary forces, not only supplementing his own forces, but giving the impression that the people were allies to Rome rather than enemies.

After Carthago Nova was secure, Scipio moved his main force to Tarraco where he spent the remainder of the year training and drilling his men. Under Scipio, the Romans abandoned their traditional Italian gladius for one used by Celtiberians. The Spanish short sword (Gladius Hispaniensis) was better suited for close quartered legionary tactics and it would soon become the primary sword of the entire Roman army.

The Carthaginians meanwhile, seriously devoid of any naval capacity were unable to retaliate at Carthago Nova. In the aftermath of its loss to Rome, they had little choice but to keep focused on quelling local tribes before they defected to the enemy. In effect, Rome had accomplished in Hispania what Hannibal had attempted to do in Italy, turning the inhabitants against the traditional power. Hasdrubal had begun recruiting an army to reinforce Hannibal in Italy, but Scipio and his extensive network of scouts were well aware of these plans. In the campaign year of 208 BC, Scipio marched south to Baecula to meet the unsuspecting Hasdrubal.

Near the Baetis River, the battle of Baecula faced 40,000 to 50,000 Romans against as many as 30,000 Carthaginian forces. Hasdrubal immediately withdrew to his camp and prepared for the defense when the Romans approached. While the enemy formed in a defensive posture, Scipio was able to outflank the enemy and quickly took command of the field. Hasdrubal wisely realized he was outmatched and retreated to safety in the Carthaginian dominated interior of Hispania. While the Carthaginians lost as much as half or 2/3rds of its army, Hasdrubal was able to save enough of it to continue with his planned reinforcement of Hannibal. Scipio, though later widely criticized, knew that pursuit into the interior of Spain would have been folly and let Hasdrubal go, choosing instead to focus on the remaining Carthaginian forces and strongholds.

After Baecula, Hasdrubal moved to reinforce Hannibal in Italy with his remaining army and Scipio moved against the armies of Mago and Hasdrubal Gisgo. Reinforced by the local Spanish tribes who hailed him as a King (though he refused this), Scipio was in excellent position to deal a deathblow to Carthage. One of his generals, Silanus, was sent with 10,000 infantry and 500 cavalry on a forced march to attack Mago in his training camp. Recently reinforced by Hanno from Africa, the Carthaginians outnumbered the Roman force, but Silanus' attack was a complete surprise. Mago and Hanno were utterly defeated and any recent Carthaginian levies were scattered beyond hope of recovery. Hanno was captured while Mago salvaged what little was left of his army and retreated to Gades joining Hasdrubal Gisgo, who had wisely moved out of reach of Scipio when news of the battle had reached him.

Meanwhile, an army under the command of Marcius harassed and assaulted pro-Carthaginian Iberian tribes in an attempt to eliminate what remained of their recruiting base. Both he and Scipio spent the remainder of the year spreading Roman control while preparing for the final campaign to eliminate the Carthaginian presence in Hispania. News of Hasdrubal's complete defeat in upper Italy after escaping Scipio arrived at this time and Carthage was clearly on the defensive in all theatres for this first time in the war. While the year 207 BC was drawing to a close, both sides prepared for what would prove to be the final battle between the two forces in Hispania.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=71...be6942cadc

M.VIB.M.

Thanks, great pictures ..
Images may be useful to my job.
best regards. Smile
sebastia
merhaba
Bu resimleri , benim top katapult ?
sava? arac? olarak kulland?.
Ne malzeme acaba , ne malzeme iƧ nedir?
kur?un, demir ya da bir ?ey ?
en iyi bakmak . Smile

[Image: image350.jpg]
sebastia
The material could be anything from clay to pure lead, as well as lead enveloped in clay. These slingshots were not used by catapultae or scorpiones but mostly by Balearic or legionary slingers.

See also :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_%28weapon%29

[Image: 20070910081545!Balearic_Slinger.jpg]

They were used throughout the empire.

We also find them in Greek warfare, some inscribed with swear words or wishes of death by the gods.

Whether or not the shape changed much in a few thousand years i do not know, but the ancients generally used things which had proved their worth for centuries, without any reform or change.

M.VIB.M.

PS: next time try to write in English, Latin or another language or use this:

http://www.stars21.com/translator/turki ... glish.html

translation service since it makes it a lot easier for other forum members to read your question and understand it, for not everyone on here speaks Turkish Wink

H.J.Vrielink.
Thank you very much.
I was using google converter.
these links are even more beautiful.
Turkish translation of my article will hopefully be clearer.
best regards. Big Grin
sebastia
What a pity the well-known catapult is not on display. Cry
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
True, it was on loan to some other museum. they only had a small model of it.

but here is a not too good picture:

[Image: CATAPULTA.JPG]

[Image: tormenta_catscorpa01.jpg]

And its reconstruction at Saalburg museum.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... Pic_02.jpg

And the catapult is also mentioned here:

http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~whutchis/sc ... tation.pdf

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
That looks remarkably intact. Thanks for the pictures and links.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Great pictures. Thank you for sharing!
Bellatrix

a.k.a. Lisa Gail

Nil illegitimi carborundum...Don\'t let the ba*tards get you down.

Luctor et emergo...I struggle and I arise.