Best Roman fiction authors
Good, Alty! I hope you like it, I surely did.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Here's a good link I found earlier.<br>
<br>
www.100megsfree4.com/fars...omchin.htm<br>
<br>
(I agree btw Goffredo, I just wish it were so....) <p>Veni Vidi Bibi</p><i></i>
I've read all the McCullough series, but I'm afraid I found them fairly turgid going. They are formidably researched, and I guess quite an entertaining way to learn about (a possible version) of late Republican history, but great literature they ain't! She falls into the perennial pitfall for not-very-good historical novelists of wearing her learning heavily. So anxious is she to display her knowledge of the period that it is continuously forced upon the reader.<br>
<br>
An interesting contrast is the Alan Massie series, comprising to date 5 books, in order of publication (from memory): Augustus; Tiberius; Caesar; Antony; and Nero's Heirs.<br>
<br>
Their standard is, frankly, uneven; and in some I would differ from nuances of Massey's historical interpreation (but hey - how accurate is Graves's depiction of Livia?). Against that, the writer is a major literary figure quite apart from his Roman sequence, and it shows in the general quality of his books. (Perhaps I am biased, since like Massey I am a Scot!).<br>
<br>
Anyone else got any views on these?<br>
<br>
Glasguensis <p></p><i></i>
I have just finished Ernest K Ganns "The Triumph " which takes the story of the mini series "Masada "further up to the death of Vespasian. This follows the purchase of the video "Masada."<br>
I enjoyed both and although we feel we now know more they are entertaining and have stimulated me into reading Wellesleys' "The year of the four Emperors" which is easily digestible history. The Book on Masada is called "The Antagonists".<br>
I also heartily recommend Scarrows second book "Eagles Conquest" and Allason Jones' "The Roman Woman". The former for a good read and the latter to give real background to my Roman personna. Unfortunately I could not obtain Roman Women from amazon and just keep renewing my library copy. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
I heartily agree on the Scarrow book. "Roman Woman" I just ordered through Abebooks.com, doing searches on the used book circuit. <p>FF<br>
Mage of Madness<br>
<a href=http://www.threebrain.com/weeeeee.html>Gonads and Strife</p><i></i>
hey! wait a minute..the perils of using my son's computer! That misanthropic magi is his Everquest nomen...no idea how it got on here. What an embarrasing signature too! <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
LOL! Well, nothing to be too embarassed about, I suppose, everyone has them... <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I finally ordered one of Mike B's favorite authors, Alfred Duggan, who's book "Winter Quarters" is being republished soon on Amazon.co.uk. There were not many of his titles available there, but they were at Abebooks. Winifred Bryher was not listed in Amazon, but can be found in Abebooks and Half.com. Prices for their books were reasonable.<br>
<br>
Jenny, I did enjoy "Roman Woman".thanks for the recommendation! <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX<br>
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I enjoyed Roman Woman too.<br>
<br>
I received Scarrow's 'Under the Eagle' on Christmas day and had finished it Boxing Day morning. I couldn't put it down, which didn't make me very popular over Christmas!<br>
<br>
I really enjoyed Cato and Macro's adventures. The descriptions of the battles and skirmishes really painted a fantastically graphic and bloody picture of how it must have been and the foul language used by the soldiers brought to life how things were in the Second Legion (even though purists may frown over the use of Anglo-Saxon swearing I thought it added to the atmosphere. Centurion Macro headbutting a howling German during a fight, smashing his nose with his helmet, and shouting "Piss off you bugger!" made me laugh!).<br>
<br>
'The Eagle's Conquest' is on its way to me via Amazon, 'The Eagle's Quarry' is at the printers and Simon Scarrow has just signed a deal to write the fourth, fifth and sixth books. Hurrah!<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Gotta second that Duggan recommendation. "Winter Quarters" has always been one of my all time Roman fiction faves. I have the first American paperback edition (Ace Star K-105, if you'd like to find it through a book search). Evocative, accurate and very, very well done...<br>
<br>
Another well-researched epic in the same vein is Vic Hurley's "The Parthian" (Fleet Publishing Corp., 1960). Hurley knew his stuff better than most, having also written "Arrows Against Steel: The History of the Bow."<br>
<br>
Some of the best historical fiction I've ever read was written in the 1040s and '50s, and it often puts modern stuff to shame. I might also recommend F. Van Wyck Mason's "The Barbarians" (Pocket Books 1024) which deals with the last years of the conflict between Rome and Carthage. The same care and research that went into "Winter Quarters" and "The Parthian" obviously didn't go into "The Barbarians," which is more of a stola-ripper. It's the tale of a Carthaginian slave, once the prince of a British tribe, who escapes and seeks his revenge. Lots of bloody action and sultry sex (or as much sultry sex as you can have in a book from 1954). Loads o' fun...<br>
<br>
Gregg <p></p><i></i>
Ave Romani,<br>
<br>
Having just read the first two books in the series, I'd like to recommend with high regard<br>
the 'Camulod Chronicles' by Jack Whyte. it's an interesting blend of historical facts with<br>
arthurian myth. try it, you'll like it! <p></p><i></i>
I just finished Under the Eagle by Scarrow.<br>
<br>
I liked the Damion Hunter Centurion series better. I re-read the first book and then got the second after Rich reminded me of the name.<br>
<br>
Anybody got book 3, The Emperor's Games? I don't want to pay Amazon $45 for it since it is only softback and used!<br>
<br>
I'd like to borrow it and could pay for shipping both ways. <p></p><i></i>
Does anyone know Linsey Davis' work? Is it worth reading? <p><BR><p align=left><font color=gold><font size=2>
_______________________________<BR>
MILES CASCA TARQVINIVS GEMINVS<BR>
<a href=http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org> LEG IX HSPA COH V CEN VIII CON III </font></font><BR>
<font color=gold><font size=2>
VIRES ET VALOR PRO GLORIA ROMAE<BR>
_______________________________</font></font></p><i></i>
I do, and yes, it is worth reading. Fairly light reading, but well done. Again, Davis does her homework, but doesn't let it get in the way of a good story. OTOH, she usually doesn't require an excessive "suspension of disbelief" - she seems to respect those of her audience who like historical accuracy.<br>
<br>
Most of her works are not about things military. They are "whodunits" set in ancient Rome. However, <u>The Course of Honor</u> is about Caenis (Vespatians' mistress) and was fun, though I think she could have done much more with it. <p>Salve,<br>
Triarius<br>
One of the pack, maybe. One of the herd, <i>NEVER!</I></p><i></i>
Thank you! <p><BR><p align=left><font color=gold><font size=2>
_______________________________<BR>
MILES CASCA TARQVINIVS GEMINVS<BR>
<a href=http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org> LEG IX HSPA COH V CEN VIII CON III </font></font><BR>
<font color=gold><font size=2>
VIRES ET VALOR PRO GLORIA ROMAE<BR>
_______________________________</font></font></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "The Hidden Soul" Roman fiction on Kindle Godgirl97 0 1,509 05-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Godgirl97
  Roman authors and books Shaddix1980 11 2,835 10-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Simon N Scarrow
  Roman fiction on the radio... on the internet mcbishop 4 2,499 11-25-2001, 06:12 PM
Last Post: richsc