Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Roman fiction authors
goffredo,<br>
<br>
the ermine street guard 's magazine "exercitus" has had 2 articles some 10 years ago about the "roman soldiers in china" theory. Conclusion was that it seems to be not very believable.<br>
<br>
The theory is based on first century chinese chronicles that mention a mysterious nomadic people with habits in fighting and camping that seem roman to the modern reader.<br>
<br>
ursinius <p></p><i></i>
I have read two of Allan Massey's Roman novels - "Caesar" and "Antony" - and found them both to be absolutely suberb. The first is narrated by Decimus Brutus and gives a real sense of the brooding of the conspirators in the build-up to Caesar's assassination. It also portrays Brutus as a loyal friend of Caesar who slowly becomes more and more unsettled by his friend's rise to glory. Slowly he becomes increasingly jealous and self-justifying and tries to explain his actions as those of a man of principle.<br>
<br>
Antony, on the other hand, is part narrated by Mark Antony himself, but Brutus is recalled as weak and treacherous. Antony, conversely, is brash, headstrong and a real soldier's soldier, but he is ultimately unable to cope with the rapidly changing Roman world that is becoming increasingly dominated by the aloof upstart Octavian.<br>
<br>
Both very well researched and both put real emotional flesh on the historical bones of famous and familiar Roman figures. The author also kindly includes a short who's who at the beginning of each novel which helps understand some of the dynamics between the characters. If you can track these books down, they're well worth the effort. <p></p><i></i>
Marcus,<br>
Are these old books or recent releases? I haven't found them on the U.S. Amazon search function.<br>
thanks,<br>
Jeff <p></p><i></i>
Copyright on Caesar is 1993 (my edition by Sceptre printed 1994) and Antony is copyrighted in 1997 (my edition, again by Sceptre, is 199EM . <p></p><i></i>
Pompeius asked for a reference to this book.<br>
<br>
It was written by Wallace Breem <p></p><i></i>
Note the spelling of his name. Some of his titles are mentioned here:<br>
<br>
loki.stockton.edu/~roman/...massie.htm<br>
<br>
and an exhaustive (but uncommented) list here:<br>
<br>
www.contemporarywriters.c...=index%3Dm<br>
<br>
and I am kicking myself for having neglected to mention him before - like me, he even lives in the Scottish Borders (albeit the wrong end ;-). Most of his emperor books appear to be out of print at the moment, but if you do find and try them can I recommend his Hanging Tree (not Roman, but very good: about the reivers).<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
.. is Pauline Gedge's "Eagle and the Raven". I started reading it many years ago, for lack of anything else to read, and was pleasantly surprised.<br>
<br>
Not precisely a "Roman" book, the protagonists are the Catuvelaunii of Britain, and the entire book covers quite a lot of ground while making a good story of Caratacus and Boudicca's respective rebellions. The romans are the "bad guys" throughout, but ultimately aren't so bad, just inexorable.<br>
<br>
I always thought, even though I'm sure there are lots of inaccuracies, that it gave a great insight as to what it would be like to face the Roman war machine, as a person coming from a tribal background. Scary. The later part of Caratacus' life in rome as a captive is a real study in contrasts, from his origins.<br>
<br>
Worth the read, though not sure when printed last.<br>
<br>
Even<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Marcus Quintilius Boreus<br>
<br>
You posted earlier in this thread about his book 'Antony' and for the life of me I can't seem to find it. I've found Caesar (didn't much care for it-no military events), Augustus (liked it, much different fron Robert Graves view in the Claudius series), and Tiberius is on the way but 'Antony' seems to be unavailable in the U.S.<br>
<br>
Any U.S. readers of Allan Massie's 'Antony' out there with suggestions on where to obtain? <p></p><i></i>
JeffFig<br>
<br>
You can order it through amazon.co.uk, along with another Massie novel that I've never heard of before - Nero's Heirs. I hope this link helps.<br>
<br>
www.amazon.co.uk<br>
<br>
Click on the books tab, put "allan massie" in the search box and you've got it. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=marcusquintiliusboreus@romanarmytalk>Marcus Quintilius Boreus</A> at: 12/8/02 1:25:40 am<br></i>
Though Augustus didn't have any military action in it either I found the story fascinating since it was so different from Robert Graves' view of Augustus in I Claudius and Claudius the God. Is Antony also mainly about the political machinations of Antony'ts career? I was wondering whether the novel covers the Parthian campaing in any depth? Nero's Heirs sounds interesting. I assume it's about the year of the five emperors?<br>
thanks, & best regards,<br>
Jeff <p></p><i></i>
Antony is quite wide ranging and, as you might expect, covers the following subjects, among others, very well.<br>
<br>
1. Antony's feelings towards the conspirators who killed Caesar.<br>
<br>
2. His changing opinion about Octavian from treating him as a child at the beginning to absolute horror at the coldness and naked ambition of the soon-to-be emperor.<br>
<br>
3. His relationship with Cleopatra and his acceptance of all things Egyptian.<br>
<br>
4. The Parthian campaign.<br>
<br>
5. The war with the Octavian faction.<br>
<br>
The book creates a very different atmosphere to "Caesar", the only other one I have read, and Antony the charismatic, swaggering soldier prone to drunken melancholy and bluster shines through. The grimness of the Parthian campaign with the realisation that the Romans had bitten off more than they could chew also stands out. <p></p><i></i>
Hello Everyone,

Caius Fabius wrote:
Quote: Who is Damion Hunter, what else did he or she write? Why did she or he stop? Inquiring minds want to know!

This is blowing the dust off of a long dormant thread, but I thought that the following information might be of interest to those of you who like to read Rome-oriented fiction.

Damion Hunter is a pseudonym for the author Amanda Cockrell. She has not written additional books in the "Centurion" series, but her first novel, "Legions of the Mist", is set in Roman Britain and is about the disappearance of the Ninth Legion. It was published in 1979 and is no longer in print.

Ms. Cockrell has also written a number of other novels, including what appear to be two series about native Americans and something about Hollywood. For more information: http://www.amandacockrell.com/bio.htm

I read "Centurions" and "Barbarian Princess" some time ago and really enjoyed them. I have been looking forward to reading the third ("Emperor's Games"), but given the hefty price of the third novel on the used market I have not as yet taken the plunge. Used copies of "Legions of the Mist" are still reasonable and I hope to read this one soon.

Emil
Emil Bosman
Out of Alan Massie's books, Augustus and Tiberius were my favourites. I felt he really brought them to life. Another similar novel that I thoroughly enjoyed was Gore Vidal's Julian, especially the depiction of Constantine early on. And of course Hannibal and Scipio by Ross Leckie; epic stuff and very convincing.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:'ve started but not finished books by Marilyn Todd and David Wissart.

Long time thread. When I started it JMR was on book five, and now? Simon Scarrow just turned out #7. And I *never* finished Marilyn Todd: just can't manage it. That is the only author I just can't stomach.

I have standing pre-orders for Simon Scarrow, JMR, Lindsay Davis, and Carolyn Lawrence.

I think Caius Fabius also reads Carolyn and I heartily recommend her if you haven't tried her. They're children's books, and mysteries set in the 1st century around late 70's. What sets her apart is that like Grimm's fairy tales, she does not shirk from the harshness of the life but treats it matter of factly (I"m reminded of the Victorian's distaste for Peter Rabbit, where "Peter's father was put in a pot by Mr McGreggor" ).

Also new to me are Rosemary Rowe and Paul Doherty.

I'm pleased to say that persistence in the used book market eventually netted me all three books in the centurion series. You have to be patient!
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Just finished The October Horse and I have to say I loved the entire Masters of Rome series. I think that the potrail of Caesar was one of the best parts of the entire Series. I have not been able to get in to any of the Toga detective books but I love JMR's Alternate history of the Punic Wars. I can't wait to get the next book in Scarrow's Eagle Series (in the U.S. anyway). I know that their not Roman per se but has anyone here read The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell? Their set in the late 400's and early 500's and have some very cool ties to rome and the Romano-British. So in a way it's like the 2004 movie King Aruther, but good. I have to ask what did you guys think of the Emperor series? I forgot to mention the book Legion: A Novel of The Roman Army by William Altimari it is a very good book and a quick read. It might be a little hard to find as it was not put out by a big publisher.

Edited because I forgot to metion a very good book.
Vegetables are what food eats
M.V. Agrippa
(Edward Hurd)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "The Hidden Soul" Roman fiction on Kindle Godgirl97 0 1,494 05-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Godgirl97
  Roman authors and books Shaddix1980 11 2,758 10-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Simon N Scarrow
  Roman fiction on the radio... on the internet mcbishop 4 2,452 11-25-2001, 06:12 PM
Last Post: richsc