Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote:As I indicated, it seems obvious the find-place is "unknown", and commentators have guessed 'Syria' ( meaning the Seleucid heartlands) or 'Mesopotamia' based on its supposed styles. But it could be either - or neither. The Louvre evidently think 'Syria'/Seleucid empire rather than Eastern/Parthian origin, hence my comment about THEIR 'best guess'. I wouldn't necessarily call the helmet type 'Iranian' either - simple conical type helmets had existed in the Greek/Hellenistic world for centuries - the Pergamum trophy relief has a ( presumably) captured Seleucid helmet very similar, but with mask.

I'm going to get a hold of "Dura and the Problem of Parthian Art" once again and go over again what Rostovtzeff says exactly. That type of helmet - a rounded or conical bowl with "button" and a thick rim - is different from any Hellenistic Pilos or Konos type; the Pergamon weapons reliefs probably shows a captured helmet from an Iranian cataphract.

Quote:Judging by the relief ( see attached) we can in fact see the 'inside' of one elbow - note the way they are bent- and metal simply wouldn't work. Note also the way both tubes seem to be of a spiral or wrapped form, which suggests organic material, though possibly the wristlet pieces are of metal.

If you mean that we can see the inside of the elbow region of the one on top, then you are mistaken; there is no curvature to it, though it seems to be curved because of the slight misalignment of the two blocks, and it could be showing any side of the limb armour. The one lying below, however, is curved, though the area where the inside of the elbow should be is covered up by the one on top. There's no reason to doubt that they could be made of metal. And further, I think it's pretty clear that they're not spiral or wrapped, but simply hoops sewn or secured some other way to a leather or textile lining underneath, which we see on the side of the opening.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by MeinPanzer - 08-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,403 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr