Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloaks in battle?
We can see from sculpture that Roman centurions wore cloaks as an indication of rank. Could they have worn these in battle? It seems they would have been somewhat of a hindrance.

Another idea struck me also. In the winter months, would the legionaries (and auxiliaries, ofcourse) have fought (if they were fighting in the winter) with their winter-cloaks on? Would the cloaks have actually been that much of a hindrance?

- Lorenzo.
Lorenzo Perring-Mattiassi/Florivs Virilis

COHORS I BATAVORUM M.C.R.P.F
I can only give my personal opinion on this matter, but I wonder if they felt the same as I do. I think as an infantryman it would be more of a hinderance than if you were cavalry. I just imagine it getting in the way or getting tangled up or stepped on if you were in a big melee on the ground. With that said, there would have been ways to wrap the cloak or secure it tighter with fibulae, etc.
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts
Lorenzo wrote:

Quote:We can see from sculpture that Roman centurions wore cloaks as an indication of rank. Could they have worn these in battle? It seems they would have been somewhat of a hindrance.

For cloaks and cloaks in battle try my 'Roman Military Dress', 2009.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.