Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civilian Sandal Recreations
I've been working on some lightweight sandals for civilian impressions, and worked up a couple of pairs over the weekend.

They're both inspired by the following stele, which is discussed more fully in the old topic here:

[attachment=2:2dz5vm55]<!-- ia2 sandals.jpg<!-- ia2 [/attachment:2dz5vm55]

The the Mark II prototype for my wife has a double layer sole of vegetable tanned leather saddle stitched together. The laces are stiched on, but not pierced, so that they can be adjusted. production time was approximately 7 hours.

[attachment=1:2dz5vm55]<!-- ia1 025.JPG<!-- ia1 [/attachment:2dz5vm55]

The second pair I stitched on brass rings at the appropriate points so that the thongs are adjustable, and took a slightly different interpretation of the art to include the possibility of a heel cup, as I can't bear a floppy heel Smile

In order to speed production, I only used a running stich on this pair, which cut the time dramatically to a mere 4 hours (although the heel cup was fiddly).

[attachment=0:2dz5vm55]<!-- ia0 026.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2dz5vm55]

On both pairs the upper attachments were sewn on first to the top sole, and then the top and bottom soles were stitched together flesh to flesh. They both need a little trimming and cleanup on the edges of the soles.

Have fun!
Cole
Cole
Quote:need a little trimming and cleanup on the edges of the soles.
Try a belt sander. You'll be amazed and pleased at the quick results.

Good work, and as long as the toe loop stays attached, a good shoe. I made a slightly higher topped version of a sandal, and sandwiched one of those Dr. Scholl's plastic grid insoles between the leather soles. Helps keep the rocks from making my feet sore.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks! The nice thing about the single stiched one is that it will be easy to open and close to replace a toe loop.

I'll put the belt sander to the test.

Have fun!
Cole
Cole
If memory serves, I used an 80 grit belt. The finer ones fill up with leather dust, and don't do much after that.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Sandal reproductions GDFB and others? Pericles of Rhodes 24 7,592 12-26-2012, 04:23 AM
Last Post: kedratuitiema