Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Roman tele-legionaries
Salve<br>
<br>
For the few who have not yet noticed, 'Warrior School' on C5 (UK only) are training and generally beasting a half-dozen innocent men into Roman legionaries this Friday 4th October at 8:00. Since it apparently takes only three days to make a legionary today this should be interesting!<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Celer.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
This sure brings the BBC-documentary to mind. Does this course take place in wintry Wales as well, under the command of Leg. XIIII?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert<br>
<br>
'Cives Francorum, Miles Romanorum' <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Looks like they were wearing white/yellow, and it's taking place in Arbeia Roman Fort, so it may be the Antonine Guard.<br>
<br>
Celer. <p></p><i></i>
It was 2nd augusta withhelp from a chap from the Royal armouries at Leeds <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
If it was the same show I saw, their shield tablets read "XIIII" on the left tab, and "Gemina" on the right. Not that it matters...They seemed to be wearing the old style Newstead Cuirass...that couldn't have been that easy to work in. I see they also used the palisade stakes as in the form of caltrops. I was thinking...even if cavalry were able to pull them from the slope...they'd just fall into the ditch, and would be even more of an obstacle. Amazing deterrent. <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Definitely another show than that by the BBC, then. That took place on a field in wintry Wales, not a fort in sight, with non-army, non re-enactment volunteers.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yeah, that's the one Robert...Did you catch it as well? What did you think? <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
The group was the UK, LEG II AVG, you can find their website here: www.legiiavg.org.uk .
<br>
However, as with most filming the 'professionals' that are there decide on everything and the reenactors end up just doing what they are told to do.<br>
<br>
Our favourite was a friends line, 'You can take my fish but you'll never take my freedom!' When he was searched for weapons at the 'border'.<br>
<br>
All the best<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Roman Saga - a historical roman about roman legionaries in Parthia and China Igor Yevtishenkov 0 1,680 05-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Igor Yevtishenkov