Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Money, St. John the Baptist and Bulgaria
The latest episode of “celebrity archaeology” has St. John the Baptist’s bones being discovered in a Bulgarian monastery.

In a Wall Street Journal article, at least one official is being refreshingly honest about how money plays a part in all this.

Some relevant quotes:

Quote: "I'm not religious but these relics are in the premier league," says Simeon Djankov, Bulgaria's finance minister and an avowed atheist. "The revenue potential for Bulgaria is clear."…

To help pull Bulgaria out of its worst recession since the collapse of communism here 20 years ago, the government is looking to promote tourism. Touting the relics is part of that plan. Mr. Djankov, the finance minister, says he wants to double government spending on the development of religious tourism so "we can make this history profitable."
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:The latest episode of “celebrity archaeology” has St. John the Baptist’s bones being discovered in a Bulgarian monastery.
What I found discouraging, is the insult to the reader that is implied in the original article. You don't have to be a great scholar to be aware of the fact that those bones are also venerated in Rome and Damascus. Anyone will ask "isn't that bizarre?" Even if you really have those bones, it is wise to address the doubts of the reader. Otherwise, you sound unconvincing and lose credit.

I blogged about it here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website