Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Roman Cookery of Apicius...
Ok, just got a copy of the book as an early X-mas present from a good friend. Anyone else have it, and tried any of the recipies? <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
I haven't been to fond of those recipes taken verbatim; I think a lot has been left out that Epicius assumed good cooks already knew. If you compare them to recipe's in the US in the 19th century, you'll find that they are not contemporary, step by step instructions, but more like broad guidelines. <p>Richard Campbell, <b>Legio XX</b><br><br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
So it is going to take some experimenting then.... <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Start with the chicken recipes, and some of the veggies, if you have some familiarity with cooking, those are hard to mess up, but they may taste a bit strange. The tastes of sweet and sour, spicey and sweet and such that are recommended by Appicus are interesting. Also, Appicus did not like "dry" wine and gives you a recipe for fixing soured wine. <p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I tried some of the translated recipes in Junkelmann's Panis Militaris (among which are Apicius's recipes) and they were excellent! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper, was that you that added me to your Yahoo! messenger list? <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Yup, tried that earlier, but it never seemed to work. Are you avoiding me? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
No, lol. In fact, I added you to my list, and I confirmed your request to add me. I am on around 5:30 pm Eastern time (North America), to about 10:30 or so at night. I will try and send you an offline message, to see if it works. <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
That probably explains it 5:30-10:30 PM Eastern is 11:30PM - 4:30 AM Central European Time. Ergo: midnight! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I have a couple of translations of Apicius, and have tried recipes from them. Here's a rough overview:<br>
<br>
Sala Catabia: Even though it's a salad I cooked it and it's delicious, a really nice rich food (for best results use Cypriot cheese, if not a white Cheshire is nice)<br>
<br>
Ova Spongia ex Lacta: Bland, even with nutmeg and pepper<br>
<br>
Boletus Mushrooms: Delicious either on their own or as an accompaniment to steak<br>
<br>
Liver Rissoles: With the recipe I used, far too salty.<br>
<br>
If anyone wants detailed cooking instructions for the mushrooms or (cooked) bread salad, let me know and I'll post them.<br>
<br>
<p>Veni Vidi Bibi</p><i></i>
I'd like to see your cooking details, so I'd welcome the posts! <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
There is a version of Apicius that has all the experimentation done for you....
It is called "The Roman Cookery of Apicius - translated and adapted for the modern kitchen" by John Edwards, published by Rider & co ISBN 0-7126-1064-2.
John Edwards actually teaches Classical Roman Cookery - never had anything but success with his recipes !!!
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I'd agree - the Edwards edition is well done and easy enough to use.
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.theromanway.org[/url]
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.legionten.org[/url]

Si vales, gaudeo. (If you are well, then I am happy.)
Quote:John Edwards actually teaches Classical Roman Cookery - never had anything but success with his recipes !!!

When does he have time to do this and run for president? :wink:

John Edwards
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
This book is FANTASTIC!

http://www.amazon.com/Apicius-Critical- ... 1903018137