Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Hoplomachus Questions
Hi,

A few more Hoplomachus questions, this time regarding the spear:

1. How longs was the spear? Was it shorter then the average war spear? I was thinking mainly being used one handed, not thrown, but held, I would probably want around two meters or six feet or so?

2. Did it have a regular butt and point? Steel or Bronze?

3. Would the bronze spear parts by Deepeeka be appropriate? AH6126 Greek Bronze Spear Parts - I know the hoplomaches was supposed to represent a Greek warrior?

Joel
Joel
Judging by the depictions in art, the hoplo's spear was 6' - 8' long. Bronze was no longer used for weapons at this time though it was used for armor and for butt spikes on spears. I believe two spear points were found in the armory of Pompeii's gladiator barracks and you should be able to find pictures here or elsewhere online, though it is not known whether they were used by hoplomachi, equites, venators or others.
Pecunia non olet
Pictures of the spearpoints found in the Pompeji Gladiatorial barraks:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40060535@N ... 3798164025
These could have belonged to Gladiators or guards.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Hi

Thank you both for your answers and also the pictures. I knew by this time the legionaries used steel for their spears but wasn't sure if bronze might still be used in the arena for show? A polished bronze spear point does look flashy in the sun!

Would the shaft be made of ash or would another hardwood, like oak, be appropriate? How was wood finished in Ancient Rome? Would a natural stain and boiled linseed oil be correct? I usually stain oak with a mixture of iron scraps dissolved in viniger, it causes the natural tannins in the oak to darken. So it doesn't actualy stain the wood but chemically darkens it. I know it is a very old procedure but I am not sure how old.

Joel
Joel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hoplomachus Equipment Yehya 8 4,546 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Olaf
  Dagger for Retiarius and Hoplomachus Aurelianus 1 2,087 01-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Renicus Ferrarius