Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius
Some time ago, probably the late 80's, I checked a book out of the library which, IIRC, was about ancient weapons. In it there was a reference to the gladius being responsible for more battlefield deaths than any other weapon up until the development of gunpowder. The author also relates an anecdote about a Macedonian commander trying to rev up his troops before one of the big battles with the Romans (Cynocephalae?) by making an impassioned speech and then pulling a cover off the bodies of some of their comrades killed by a Roman patrol. The Greeks, used to neat little puncture wounds from spears, were horrified and demoralized by the gaping wounds caused by the gladii. I could not locate the book in the library when I went back looking for it some time later because I cannot remember the author or the title. Any assistance in running down this elusive volume would be greatly appreciated. <p></p><i></i>
I think you're refering to a passage in Livy's History of Rome, XXXI.34:<br>
<br>
“Philip gave orders that the horsemen who had fallen in this expedition should be borne into camp so that the funeral honors accorded them should be seen by all. This he did on the assumption that by making provision for the burial he would enhance his own popularity and increase the readiness of his men to face danger on his behalf . . . [But] a ceremony which he thought would make them more ready to undertake any conflict struck fear into their hearts and consequent reluctance. They had seen wounds caused by spears, arrows, and, rarely, by lances, since they were accustomed to fighting the Greeks and Illyrians; but now they saw bodies dismembered by the Gladius, arms cut off with the shoulder attached, or heads severed from bodies, with the necks<br>
completely cut through, internal organs exposed, and other horrible wounds, and a general feeling of panic ensued when they discovered the kind of weapons and the kind of men they had to contend with.â€ÂÂ
That sounds like the description that I read. I don't remember whether they cited Livy or not. Thanks for that quote! <p></p><i></i>
Found the book. It's called <i> From Sumer to Rome: The Military Capabilities of Ancient Armies</i> by Richard Gabriel and Karen Metz. Greenwood Publishing Group; ISBN: 0313276455; (May 1991)<br>
<br>
<p>Vae victis!</p><i></i>
<br>
I've also heard it said that arrows were responsible for more casualties than any other weapon before gunpowder was invented.<br>
<br>
Susan <p></p><i></i>