Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ritual Meal: Temple of Mithras
It was not an official, advertised event, but something we’d wanted to do for ages: a ritual meal at the temple of Mithras on Hadrian’s Wall on 7th of August 2010. Arriving in mist and drizzle, after a libation of red wine on the altars, the sky cleared and the sun shone (well, he is Lord of Light!). I met up with Fasta (poster on the forums) and Demetrius.

[Image: mithras1.jpg]

Incense was lit on all of the replica altars, and all of the food shared in the true spirit of Mithraic brotherhood. Bread (symbolising the Bull’s body, red wine, symbolising his blood, along with chicken (remains of chicken were found by the excavators beneath the altars), and the time honoured staples of smoked cheese and smoked ham.

[Image: mithras2.jpg]

There was no attempt to ‘recreate’ a ceremony with invocations, etc. We talked to a steady stream of visitors who began arriving when the sun came out. It was refereshing to explain that we wore the clothing of soldiers, and that the temple was to a Roman god. One or two wanted to join us, but we would only share our food with fellow brothers! Wink One or two helped us by taking photographs. An English Heritage warden who was on site while we conducted our ritual meal told us of the strange things he’d had to remove from the altars over the past few years. These included many coins, candles and flowers, but also once a toy bull … quite apt I thought.

[Image: mithras3.jpg]

In the afternoon, after removing all traces of our meal, we walked up to Housesteads fort and in amongst dashes of rain and sun, were lucky enough to watch members of the 8th legion entertaining the crowds.

[Image: mithras8.jpg]
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Quote:Bread (symbolising the Bull’s body, red wine, symbolising his blood, along with chicken (remains of chicken were found by the excavators beneath the altars), and the time honoured staples of smoked cheese and smoked ham.
So basically you had a very cosy picnic. Big Grin

Nice pictures - thanks for sharing them!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It was good to get the old kit out again and meet up with friends Big Grin A great time,something I've wanted to do for years.Thanks Paul.
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
You pagans! I shall persecute you when we meet next :roll: And offer you non-Roman Pimms Big Grin
Yip - I really enjoyed the day out. The atmosphere was just right and the pace very relaxed. Looking forward to doing something like this again.

Be the way, my offerings to the Gods (both Brit and Roman) have not come true yet. Is there a time limit on these requests lol. Or maybe John lied, and he was not a virgin after all!!!
Jamie (Domitius)

DEO IANVS

C.S.I
Quote:So basically you had a very cosy picnic. Big Grin

<cough> <cough> 'ritual meal' <cough>
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.