Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late 4th century sarcophagus
Thanks Paul

Quote:I think I recall some discussion (by Graham Sumner??) on the armour? The central soldier is depicted as having some form of body armour with a distinct "dot"in the middle of each diamond shaped section.

While I had seen the central figure before the rest was new to me. The figure was listed amongst my possible Subarmalis contenders, illustrated in 'Roman Military Dress'. The same design also appears in a similar but later list of padded armour designs, produced by Timothy Dawson in one of his recent Books on the Byzantine soldiers. I guess you can argue that this is continuity of either actual designs or artistic conventions, even though I think we all agree that some form of padding was worn underneath whatever armour was used.

Perhaps of even more interest is the cross between a cape and a life preserver which is worn in the last photo!! I have never seen anything like that before.

Great stuff, thanks for posting.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Caballo - 08-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Re: Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Goffredo - 08-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Re: Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Graham Sumner - 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Re: Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 08-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Re: Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Caballo - 08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Re: Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 08-16-2010, 01:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Officer, sarcophagus relief-pics, pdf Arahne 8 2,881 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius