Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'The myth of Celtic and Roman Britain\'
Quote:It is sad that they can be published in this day and age.
Ask Jona. It's all too easy - publishing the boring truth is much more difficult! But that's also a reason for this forum.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Totally agree.

Between the commercial interest to publish the bizarre--whether true or not--and the academic interest to publish something new--whether true or not--the truth doesn't stand much of a chance. Sad
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
We can thank Nathan Ross for slipping in that kooky podcast. After all, the Incas descended from the Egyptians, who descended from the Atlantians, who descended from Conan's grandmother... and since there was an Irishman named Conan, then they all descended from a pulp fiction writer who lived in a small Texas town.

We have, in Wilson and Blackett, exactly that kind of reasoning. In other sources, perhaps conspiritorial or even Caesarish or "Tacitern," we have the recorded names of British tribes, which inexplicably are exactly the same as several Belgae ones... who may have been Celts or maybe not. We even know that after the Vercingetorix fiasco, King Commius and his family moved over to Britain, probably to avoid Roman taxes. Certainly, not all "Britons" were Celtic, and even Tacitus claims that the Silures were more like Iberians or Aquitani. Yet, on the whole, it seems that Britain had all the earmarks of Celtic traditions, as did the Irish (who once claimed they came from Spain via Israel). But Celtic is as Celtic does, and chances are the Britons were not related to the Atlantians. 8)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote: as did the Irish (who once claimed they came from Spain via Israel).

QUA??? Confusedhock:
(Qua is the humorous form of "what")

Where is that from?
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
I'm not sure where it came from. I didn't dream it, so maybe it came from ancient Irish tradition. I'll bet Cagwinn would know. (Or give a call to Wilson & Blackett. That's 1-800-NON-CELT.)
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:
Alanus:16x3d4m4 Wrote:as did the Irish (who once claimed they came from Spain via Israel).

QUA??? Confusedhock:
(Qua is the humorous form of "what")

Where is that from?

I thought the claim was that some Irish were descended from Scythians who were then expelled from Egypt and fled to Iberia before moving onto Ireland?

And that Scota was a pharoah's daughter who married an Irish king?

From the same school of thought that has Britons descended from Phoenecians? I've got a whole book on that from 1924.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Its all about little people pondering about their heritage to get some sense of identity in this werid strange world...

These stories remind me of the ridiculous SS research into the origins of the master race which even led them to the Tibetan highlands...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
That's about it.
Israel, Egypt-- it's all the same, some "once great" country and ethnogis, much like Virgil wanted his daddy to be Trojan (the people, not the other thing).
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:Virgil wanted his daddy to be Trojan (the people, not the other thing).

I knew an Irish guy in Sicily who swore the Irish were not celtic - Fomorians, apparently, as he explained over his eighteenth beer. Then again, these Fomorians were also supposed to be Trojans... or was that the other way around? :|

Quote:These stories remind me of the ridiculous SS research into the origins of the master race which even led them to the Tibetan highlands...

There is something pretty unsavoury about it all - claims about blood and belonging are seldom motivated by strictly historical concerns.

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Actually serious scholars have linked the language forms of Ireland and northern Spain. (I've not heard anyone seriously link them to Israel.) Don't know whether that theory is currently in fashion. Since it's more than fifteen minutes old, I suspect it's out. :roll:

One assertion in the debate about the Celtishness of Britain is that Brythonic was so different from Gaelic. There are many theories which use that issue to both defend or refute the Celt credentials of the Britons.

I don't pretend to know enough to have more than an opinion. (Don't need to actually know anything to have an opinion, as demonstrated on TV and the web daily. :lol: )

Ron Andrea
I read somewhere where the norther spanish, or Basque, language was linked to Japanese......... :?
Not sure if that wasin Black Athena or somewhere else......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hooray! I've found someone more cynical than me. That makes me more "normal", right? :wink:

Ron Andrea
Can't be me your refering to, surely? :o o wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
No, Ron, you can't be more, or less, normal. Either you is, or you ain't. :wink: :roll: And we know that's true, 'cause I says it's so. Just call me Median Norm. Idea
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Okay, now you are on my turf Caesar....

The Japanese language forms part of the Altaic language group, amongst which are Turkish and several other languages spoken in the east.
It has verbs which in general form the end of a sentence. This means that every sentence you translate normally gets translated back to front, contrary to front to back which is normal for us.

Ie: Yama no ue, hito ga imasu. On the mountain there is a man. Yama =mountain no=from ue=up, above, top , hito =man (ga) imasu he is, or there is.

In which GA is used to denounce the verb which is coming and also to say something on the previous Hito.

anyway, some ibero celtic or even irish dialects could be stemming from this language group, i dont know.

I just know that our languages are Indo European as i remember correctly and that Farsi or Persian would be Indo Germanic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_languages

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... anTree.svg

Tongue

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Britain Celtic 1st Century AD Shield + Sword Belt Antoninus05 12 5,177 03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Last Post: bloodseekerboi1