Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did only Centurions wear medals?
Centurions are often portrayed in battle gear wearing their phalerae (medals), usually nine. (See the cover of Ancient Warfare's 2010 Special Issue and the detail of Quintus Sertorius Festus' tombstone.) No one else ever has any. Since some of those commemorated successful campaigns or battles, you'd think many veterans had a few. (AW's centurion issue has one illustration ( p.19) of an centurion with his deputy, but the optio has no medals.) Of course, the centurion would have more. Were only Centurions allowed to display them? Did others have to hide them in their kit until their promotion?

What were the criteria and frequency of such awards? Were they unique to each occasion (a particular battle) or varied only by metal (gold, silver, bronze like modern Olympic medals) or were there classes (like the range of military decorations within a given nation or service)?
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
I have pondered this too recently and eventually bought a copy of the excellent Book " The Military Decorations of the Roman Army" by VA Maxfield. I have not finished reading it all but I can tell you that many ranks of soldiers seem to have been given various awards, not just Centurions, based upon the evidence presented by Maxfield. Less certain is when the awards were displayed or worn unfortunately.

As to the criteria - far too detailed to go into! I would recommend you either loan or buy the book.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
That's a start. Thanks.

Ron Andrea
I haven't read Valeie Maxfield's book in many years. I suppose I, too, should re-read it. From a practical point, I can't see anyone wearing the 'crowns" into battle, not even the Corona Civica. However, it is easy to wear things like armillae. I have two silver ones (real silver), for which I am developing accounts as to how I earned them. I do wear them. Actually when carrying my scutum and most other times, etc, I wear them both on my right wrist.

I don't recall whether Valerie Maxfield discusses it or some other author more recently, but it seems that fairly early in the First Century AD, the Corona Civica was an award that only Centurions or higher ranking officers could be awarded. Of course our source material is so limited. Marcus Ostorius Scapula earned a Corona Civica as a military tribune in Britain, while serving under his father, who was the governor at the time.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
My original question was generated by never seeing anyone except centurions wearing the medals over their armor.

Ron Andrea
Thats a re-enactment quirk and has nothing to do with real history...

It is one side of the medal which makes re-enactment not always very good for the study of history, since the general image gets made into probable history, in books, films, models as well as on the display ground...

for instance he story about the greaves only being for Centurios. Near the Dacian wars also legionaries wore greaves. the same with the auxilia cavalry sports helmets. only lately people have been suggesting that helmets normally attested to Alae might also have been worn by men of legate rank, signiferii et cetera.
Also, the Syrian archers you see so often. Not all Sagittarii were Syrian, wore the conical helmet and the long Tunic.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:My original question was generated by never seeing anyone except centurions wearing the medals over their armor.

Then you actually haven't seen my kit Big Grin (okay, maybe I've too many phalerae and are they too ornate for an ordinairy auxilia soldier, but it is in my opinion, possible).

[Image: batavian2.jpg]

Two sources:
the tombstone of eques Caius Marius from Bonn
[Image: file.php?id=7128&]

The tombstone of miles Quintus Cornelius from Mainz.
[Image: file.php?id=7127]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Wow, looks like a real hero. Nice kit. Do you have a story for each medal? The ten-year-old boys will want to know. :lol:

Actually, even on tombstones and monuments only centurions seem to wear medals. I take it those tombstones were of non-centurions, right?

I was under the impression that greaves spread across the ranks as the empire aged. Am I wrong?

Ron Andrea
Yes Jurjenius, your kit is an example of the correct way it should be portrayed but have you tried wearing the Pahelerae at/during a giant display for instance together with the Guard ? if you pull that off without the Centurios starting to hassle you, i bow my head in veneratio, however, i personally think that they will always comment, no matter how much research you have done..

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Wow, looks like a real hero. Nice kit. Do you have a story for each medal? The ten-year-old boys will want to know. :lol:

It's a copy of the set from Lauersfort.

Quote:Actually, even on tombstones and monuments only centurions seem to wear medals. I take it those tombstones were of non-centurions, right?

So, it seems those two sentences of yours are in contradiction. Both are indeed of normal soldiers (the one from Bonn of a cavalryman and the one from Mainz of a simple footsoldier), so these are both people outside the centurional rank. I'm still looking for more evidence, but at least we've those two.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Yes Jurjenius, your kit is an example of the correct way it should be portrayed but have you tried wearing the Pahelerae at/during a giant display for instance together with the Guard ? if you pull that off without the Centurios starting to hassle you, i bow my head in veneratio, however, i personally think that they will always comment, no matter how much research you have done..

I've used this kit in Nijmegen under command of Len Morgan (RMRS) and he didn't have any problem with it. Although I've to say I didn't put them on in Kelmarsh under the command of Chris. But I had the rest of the kit with me and got an argument with Chris about my subarmalis right at the moment I picked it out of my bag, and as you suppose I couldn't convince him it is actually based on some evidence.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I have worn armillae for a couple of years as well. some comments but no ban so far.
I think they possibly find that they would get the same response as the eastern Cities recieved from Pompey when they asked to negotiate.....
:twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Glad to hear there is such unanimity--and charity--within the re-enacting community.

But, I guess, if you folks don't police yourselves, who will? And we tiros won't know the difference. (That's why I asked this question.)

Ron Andrea
Lol Ron, its actually less about policing than about people in command who want uniformity, and who probably would not like others in greaves and Phalerae because that would ruin the non historical picture and conventions...

So as i said before, nothing to do with academic research, theories, proof even in some cases... just the pettiness of human behaviour.

Which is exactly the reason i would love to show up at one event dressed as.., surrounded by ..and having at least 21 .. walking in front of my horse .

After which i give a command to some Centurio and by the gods if he does not listen........

LOL

But the question you as "tiro" ask is a valid one. It is still in debate, but there is convincing evidence that the re-enactment conventions most of us seem to adhere to are dead wrong.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Well, if we don't know we don't know. It just struck me as curious and I wondered if I'd missed something.

I had, but only because it wasn't there. :lol:

Ron Andrea

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Centurions and Musculata: Did they wear this? Doc 0 953 08-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Doc