Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bathing by soldiers in the field
I am a newbie.
The Roman culture was to bathe frequently, even the plebes.
How did the Roman soldier deal with this?
Romans were avid bathers. However, they were also extremely practical people as well. Permanent bases had bath houses, but soldiers in the field went without, although I suppose a quick dip in a stream at a stop was not out of the question. 8-)
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
"bathing" for soldiers may have been mostly confined to face and hands, and wound cleanup. There simply wouldn't be a way to carry enough water and oil out on the campaign. But when permanent forts were constructed, a bath house often was build on the site.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:However, they were also extremely practical people as well. Permanent bases had bath houses, but soldiers in the field went without, although I suppose a quick dip in a stream at a stop was not out of the question.
Well it depends. Cassius Dio (LXXI. 20. 1) tells us that during the final phases of Marcomannic wars before Marcus Aurelius' death the Roman soldiers occupying German territories even had baths in their fortresses in barbaricum. This is confirmed by archaeological findings of baths in a Roman (at least partly) military facilities at Musov Burgstall in the Czech Republic (ie. German lands; see this article).

However, I agree this was probably an exception rather than norm. And of course when on campaign - marches, battles, etc. - baths surely were not available Smile

Greetings,
Alexandr

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bathing utensil from a mosaic Dardanus Lupus 4 1,610 02-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Medicus matt
  Bathing sandals QRusticus 7 1,641 05-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Last Post: QRusticus
  Bathing set brennivs - tony drake 7 2,066 06-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius