Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of Cannae...
The Roman casualties at Cannae -- would they be considered 50% of the total Roman Army at that time? 75%...?

The Romans still had some minor forces at Rome itself, plus their army in Spain under the Scipio brothers, and small forces in other areas (Sicily?) plus the 10,000 or so survivors at Cannae itself rallied by the younger Scipio and other officers.

If we take Goldsworthy's numbers of 45,000+ dead and 18,000 captured what total does that loss represent?

Just wondering.

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Speaking of Cannae ...

John Stewart speaks with the author of "Ghosts Of Cannae - Hannibal And The Darkest Hour Of The Roman Republic"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/2 ... 63650.html

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Good link.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Quote:Good link.

Although that books and discussion seems like it is just repeating facts and discussions that has already been discussed for a long time. It does not seem like it introduce anything new to our understanding of Cannae.
Raymond Ngoh
No, but it's nice to see serious topics getting into the popular media, even if the host did his best to act the fool.

Ron Andrea
Indeed so.

I agree that it seems there is little "new" in this book, but that the author made it onto The Daily Show is, in and of itself, pretty sweet.

As we have said many times before when discussing the latest ancient film from Hollywood, all publicity is good.

As for John Stewart playing the fool -- well, that is his job after all. Sometime he can be quite funny and on other days ...

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:No, but it's nice to see serious topics getting into the popular media, even if the host did his best to act the fool.

I thought that the battle of Cannae is very well known in the US?
Raymond Ngoh
I would dare say the Battle of Hoth or the Battle of Endor are better know in the US than is the Battle of Cannae.

In fact, there are many in he US who still believe that the Battle Of The Bulge was fought between their parents and their diets.

:oops:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:I thought that the battle of Cannae is very well known in the US?

I never learned about Cannae in school and most people (at least my age;which is 27) don't like to read anymore. When I first heard about Elephants crossing the Alps I had to learn more about it. :lol: Keep in mind I haven't been to College so it may be different there.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:I would dare say the Battle of Hoth or the Battle of Endor are better know in the US than is the Battle of Cannae.

Totally true. (Hence my reference in another thread to the fictional Thrawn.)

Ron Andrea
Sad to ask but "Are there any movies dealing with Cannae?" That is the best way to get stuff out into the Mainstream. :roll:
Thermopylae was something I learned about in High School but most kids seemed disinterested until "300" came out. Then they liked it.
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Not that I know of, but then we'd start the whole argument about whether the public is better off knowing nothing of Roman history than knowing all the wrong stuff Hollywood foists on them.

Ron Andrea
Quote:whether the public is better off knowing nothing of Roman history than knowing all the wrong stuff
I can answer that, Ron: "Yes, they are, most likely, sometimes." There. Argument ended. :wink: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I thought I watched a documentary of Cannae. IIRC it was Decisive "Battles of the Ancient World Vol.III" they use Rome :Total War for visual effects.
Craig Bellofatto

Quote:Sad to ask but "Are there any movies dealing with Cannae?" That is the best way to get stuff out into the Mainstream. :roll:
Thermopylae was something I learned about in High School but most kids seemed disinterested until "300" came out. Then they liked it.

One of, heck the only thing positive about the film: 300 is the fact that many people have been attracted to Greek history due to their exposure to this film, of course there are many more that are under the impression that the Spartans were some sort of mythical 'Superheroes' and that the Persian Immortals were vile monsters, so I guess that sword cuts both ways. (sorry, I did not mean to start the aforementioned argument :lol: )

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman army public speaking inkstain 18 4,389 02-02-2013, 04:10 AM
Last Post: markhebb