Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question on hellenistic arrowheads
Hi everyone! I am doing some research on Assyrian arrowheads, and have come across a number of interesting arrowheads from a variety of sites (Assur, Norsuntepe and Bogazköy), but NONE of which have any dating of any kind. One author has suggested that this form of arrowhead was used in the hellenistic period, but unfortunately I know very little about the archaeology of the hellenistic Near East (my focus is early 1st Millennium BC).

Below are pics of the Norsuntepe and Assur examples - do any of you know if this sort of arrowhead was indeed used in the hellenistic period, and if so, what publications I might be able to refer to, or what sites they have been found at? Many thanks!!!

[Image: nursuntepe628.jpg]

[Image: Assur60.jpg]

[Image: Assur59.jpg]
It just so happens that recently I came across very similar arrowheads in the official publication of Nemrud Dag, Donald H. Sanders ed., Nemrud Da?i. The Hierothesion of Antiochus I of Commagene (Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 1996), 2 volumes. Here is a photograph of the different types found:

http://antiquemilitaryhistory.com/images/arrowheads.jpg

Because of the chronology of the site at Nemrud Da?, these can be dated to the Hellenistic period, but only one example was stratified and can be identified as late Hellenistic (n. 612 above). Apparently, similar arrowheads have been found at Arsameia-on-the-Nymphaios, also Hellenistic in date, and published in Friedrich Karl Dörner, Theresa Goell, Arsameia am Nymphaios, vol. 2. Das Hierothesion des Königs Mithradates I. Kallinikos von Kommagene nach den Ausgrabungen von 1963 bis 1967 (Berlin: Gebr. Mann, 1963), 275-81. Enough arrowheads were found at Nemrud Da? that the excavators state that the full development of this type can be traced. The earliest form is n. 612, and this later changed into n. 614, similar example of which has been found at Kusura. The latest form is shown in nn. 615-7, which is paralleled by an example from Khorsabad. The excavators suggest that this may have been a particularly Commagenian style of arrowhead. Hope this helps!
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Many, many thanks, that does indeed help a LOT!!! Big Grin

I'm also intrigued by 615-617 (the 'chisel tipped' arrowheads), since I have also come across similar examples, mostly from Bogazköy (all undated), but there is also one from Toprakkale that was dated to the late Urartian period (ca. 650-590, see Wartke 1990, Toprakkale: Untersuchungen zu den Metallobjecten im Vorderasiatisches Museum zu Berlin. Akademie Verlag: Berlin. P. 127-128). But Toprakkale was excavated a century ago with very poor techniques, so I'm guessing they were mistaken and they all were indeed hellenistic rather than Urartian.

Ok, off to change my arrowhead typology *again*... :lol:
Glad I could help! The Hellenistic Near East is a topic that really cries out to be studied more, so hopefully in the future someone will put in the effort to assemble the evidence and publish something substantial on it.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian