Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Collection helmet - photos
Quote:Ah! but you did paint it based on the Ostrova helmet did you not Graham? Which is not as complete as this example - so you sort of pre-empted it by adding the scale in your painting rather than mail!

Er......No!

As I said in the previous post I had nothing to do with the painting at all. Dr D'Amato commissioned another artist himself to do that painting. I can only guess that he supplied the other artist with the sources for the painting which I presume did include the helmet you mention. He would have provided the artist with detailed instructions for the reconstruction based on his own research as he did for the paintings which I did illustrate. These are all full page Plates in the book and had I done the Sarmation archer figure he would have been a full page Plate too.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Now I understand ! Sorry Graham.

There is another photo on the museum website... (armour section)
www.mouginsmusee.com
Thanks for the link. As a side note, it is interesting that they list the other Cavalry helmet as Late 2nd to early 3rd Century. Those dates seem to be a little late IMO.....
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Yes I would have thought from the style of helmet it was 1st - 2nd Century.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Italic G Hebron helmet photos Doc 1 870 08-31-2017, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Pugio (Private Collection?) Doc 14 3,829 09-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Last Post: jkaler48
  Photos from the Hamburg MKG collection Carlton Bach 3 1,576 07-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach