Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurion: The Movie Trailer
Thanks a lot for the links.

=======================
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." -Don Vito Corleone, Godfather (1972)
Watch movies online for free here:[url:2f4lweo3]http://www.moviesonlinelive.com[/url]
What do the RATers think of this new trailer for The Eagle (based on Eagle of the Ninth)?

[url:2b6n06at]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diY-ccvdcUk[/url]

Not knowing enough about romans in this period, it seems..bearable to me. And it's more interesting than Centurion was I have to admit. The caledonians (I guess that's what they are, the hairstyles remind me of some pictish carvings I've seen) are pretty wild, but I kinda like that.
Jan Pospisil - fantasy/historical/archaeology illustration
My Portfolio:
http://merlkir.deviantart.com
My Blog: 
http://janpospisil.blogspot.com
Looks exciting.

However...

Once again the star seldom wears his helmet so as not to hide his star quality good looks regardless of history or logic. Of course, the trailer consists of many jump cuts between short bits so it is difficult to be certain who is who, but it appears that in other scenes he is wearing a helmet, or perhaps that is just another random Centurion. :?:

If he is a centurion, would he not be more properly attired in chain mail rather than a muscled cuirass? :?

In one of the earlier threads on the Forum was posted a production photo from this film showing the legionaries armed with pilum (as opposed to the film Centurion that opted to arm the Romans with spears). 8)

Again, it looks like an exciting chase film and, as we all know, any film about ancient Rome is better than no film about ancient Rome.

Well ... almost ... :roll:

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Apart from the question how accurate it is (the whole story is based on an historical error, i.e. the "destruction of the 9th", after all) and how well it follows the story of the book (which I loved as a kid and even made my wife teach to her middle schoolers), I have to say the trailer looks VERY COOL. Wow.
Aka
Christoph
Quote:Apart from the question how accurate it is (the whole story is based on an historical error, i.e. the "destruction of the 9th", after all) and how well it follows the story of the book (which I loved as a kid and even made my wife teach to her middle schoolers), I have to say the trailer looks VERY COOL. Wow.
Well, I'd say that much of the popularity of that historical error is due to the success of that very book!

Quote:In one of the earlier threads on the Forum was posted a production photo from this film showing the legionaries armed with pilum (as opposed to the film Centurion that opted to arm the Romans with spears). 8)
Well, since Marcus is commander of an auxiliary cohort, you would traditionally expects the hasta instead of the pilum.
Of course, personally I don't think that it was always so that auxilia use the hamata/hasta as opposed to the legions using the segmentata/pilum combination... So maybe there's really more authenticity here than we normally give Hollywood credit for. Or.. maybe not. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[cynicism]
Quote:So maybe there's really more authenticity here than we normally give Hollywood credit for.
Probably just coincidental. :roll: There are some sculptures that show auxilia wearing segmentata, I'm told, but I've come to expect H'wood to make historical errors or to introduce pure fantasy into historical narrative, so I just watch the movie for whether it entertains me or not.[/cynicism]
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:[cynicism]
Quote:So maybe there's really more authenticity here than we normally give Hollywood credit for.
Probably just coincidental. :roll:
Which is why I added the "Or.. maybe not. :wink: "
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yep. But what if they told the story just like it happened, and said, "The following film is as close as we can get to the actual event. Some of the conversation is speculative, but the events and timing of the action follow the historical account as exactly as we could make it. Footnotes in subtitle throughout the production are not meant to distract the viewer: they are to show the references we used in recreating the story."

A thousand thousand historians would swoon.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Historians working on a film, and actually having a say in what goes on?
A film that values historical accuracy?

Confusedhock: :lol: :roll: Confusedhock:

Foner: So, what you're saying is, the way the movie industry is going now we're not likely to hear a lot of concern about historical accuracy.

Sayles: No, because coming up with the scenario that sells is the same thing as staying in office. You know, it's the difference between being a leader and a politician.

Foner: And the stakes are so much higher now. You stand to lose a hundred million bucks instead of five million.

Sayles: I think the stakes were always the same, personally, for those guys: "Don't make a movie like this. It doesn't make money." If historical accuracy were the thing people went to the movies for, historians would be the vice presidents of studios. Every studio would have two or three historians.

Foner: Fortunately, or unfortunately, that doesn't seem likely to happen.

Past Imperfect - History According To The Movies c1995 ISBN: 0-8050-3759-4 p22.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I saw this movie last week-end and was pleasantly surprised. There was very little leather except for their subarmilis which had the pteryges attatched. Almost to a man they wore segs except for the actual centurion who wore mail with phalerae. His transverse crest was cut very short so looked a little weird. I did notice the pila were missing but it was o.k.
Overall, they used gear which made me wonder if they didn't actually use RAT or Matt for inspiration. I give them laudes for being far ahead of traditional Hollywood stuff.
BTW- the star was also in 300 and the female Pict was from James Bond (Quantum of Solace).
a gore factor of 9/10 for serious chopping of heads and limbs in the battle scene. Very realistic.
Hi to all my friends here. I've been on hiatus for a while.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movie Centurion Pict 20 3,889 11-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Narukami