Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurion: The Movie Trailer
The blizzard of publicity begins for the new film...
http://bit.ly/dofbP5
A good trailer as movie promos go, but at a fundamental level I still think this story would have been better set in Germania Magna, Teutoburg AD9... you know the rest.

Let the critiques begin.
Lindsay Powell
[url:1j6646pm]http://www.Lindsay-Powell.com[/url] website
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
I wish they'd hold a frame long enough to get a good look at the gear. But from what I can see, even if it's not spot-on it's still worlds ahead of what used to pass for Roman equipment in decades past.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:I wish they'd hold a frame long enough to get a good look at the gear. But from what I can see, even if it's not spot-on it's still worlds ahead of what used to pass for Roman equipment in decades past.

Theré's a little pause button an the left, actualy...its the same as the play button :wink:

Anyhowe the Roman's don't look to bad, now we have to teach them how their enemies are supposed to look like...
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Quote:Let the critiques begin.

They've already begun! :wink:

Centurion

Centurion Film

Pic from 'Centurion'

Neil Marshall's new film

The film opened in the Uk earlier this year.

We're still waiting for The Eagle of the Ninth though. Look like the return of Imperial Leather...

[Image: 63_12233658069.jpg]

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Wow, this is actually the first I've heard of this movie! I'm always a sucker for these kind of films as I'm sure most of you are, but after the excitement of seeing Roman soldiers on the big screen wears off, I end up disappointed by how Hollywood just can never seem to quite get it right.

The trailer makes it look like a good film at least, but I guess I won't know until I actually see it. I do agree though that it might have been better if it were based on the Varus disaster, but then I guess maybe the Hollywood thinks the audience will "sympathize" more with something taking place in the British Isles?
"...atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

????? ???? ?\' ?????...(J. Feicht)
Not just the "return of Imperial Leather" but also of the film's Star not wearing a helmet so as not to hide his good looks.

Of note -- they carry pilum in Eagle Of The Ninth, as opposed to spears in Centurion. According to on-set reports, the film makers could not find a way to use the pilum safely so opted for spears even though they knew this to be incorrect.

And...

For your added viewing pleasure...

A new poster for Centurion rendered in Comic Con style.

:wink:
Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
According to the IMDB 'The Eagle of the Ninth' has been renamed 'The Eagle' and its release date put back to February 2011. Presumably this was because the handful of people who saw 'Centurion' might be put off by a film with a similar story! :roll:

Quote:Not just the "return of Imperial Leather" but also of the film's Star not wearing a helmet so as not to hide his good looks.
A similar device used in 'Sharpe' who even on the rare occasions he did wear a hat, never wore the correct headgear presumably because the makers thought he would look daft. Full marks then for the makers of the old version of 'Ivanhoe' who encased star Robert Taylor in the correct face hugging mail for the period rather than the usual floppy balaclava!

Quote:they carry pilum in Eagle Of The Ninth, as opposed to spears in Centurion. According to on-set reports, the film makers could not find a way to use the pilum safely so opted for spears even though they knew this to be incorrect.

So are we to presume from that, that in 'The Eagle' the pila will not be used safely!

Quote:Imperial leather
mmm..... sounds like a brand name! :wink:

Quote:Anyhow the Roman's don't look to bad, now we have to teach them how their enemies are supposed to look like...

Judging by the poster, it already looks like the comic artist has made a couple of amendments to her kit!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Of note -- they carry pilum in Eagle Of The Ninth, as opposed to spears in Centurion. According to on-set reports, the film makers could not find a way to use the pilum safely so opted for spears even though they knew this to be incorrect.

This is rather ironic. In the novel, the battle scene at the beginning (which is the only actual battle in the whole story) involves auxiliaries rather than legionaries - Sutcliff has her hero as a centurion (?!) commanding an auxiliary cohort at an isolated fort. Now I know there's a theory that auxiliaries used pila and wore segmentata just like the legions, but the traditional view has them in mail and carrying spears, of course. In an attempt at authenticity, The Eagle may have accidently achieved the opposite! Really, they just can't win... :wink:

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Quote:A new poster for Centurion rendered in Comic Con style.
Hmm, I LIKE him holding the corpse of octopus Paul.... :lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Narukami:wxmaqufc Wrote:A new poster for Centurion rendered in Comic Con style.

Yeah! I'm glad someone finally took care of that evil psychic cephalopod! :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Vortigern Studies:yz2h59kf Wrote:
Narukami:yz2h59kf Wrote:A new poster for Centurion rendered in Comic Con style.

Yeah! I'm glad someone finally took care of that evil psychic cephalopod! :lol: :lol:

As Admiral Ackbar said, "It's a trap!"

:roll:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Well, I just watched the film! I have to say, I'm nowhere near as disappointed as I thought I'd be. Overall it's not a bad flick, despite all the "historical inconsistencies" that drive people like us crazy. The fate of the 9th aside, there were some "wardrobe malfunctions" that kind of bothered me, but like I said, it doesn't really take away from the story, and most people aren't going to notice anyway. There are only a few points where I thought the story itself was a little hackneyed, but it's not that bad.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood or something, but I'd give Centurion a solid 3/5, maybe even 3.5/5 Smile

Centurion played for one week only at the NuArt theatre in Santa Monica and was gone for good. Or so I thought.

It just re-opened in West Hollywood, so if I can make it out of the valley I may actually have a chance to see this in an actual theatre. Barring that it will be DVD sometime in the future.

We have over 30 screens here in downtown Burbank alone, and another 50 or so within five miles and yet none are showing Centurion.

I must say, it is not a good sign when a film is playing in only one theatre here in the "Movie Capital of the World."

Cry :? x

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Yeah that's why I bit the bullet and just rented it online at Amazon. It's weird too because it is an actual well-made movie, it's not just like some art house crap that would look bad on a big screen or anything.

Hmm looking at that poster they have seemingly also the usual blue faced barbarians.....guess "Brave Heart" was a real inspiration for all films on ancient topics...to bad that a detail junky like Peter Jackson never does a movies on a topic like this. Sad
Martin J.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movie Centurion Pict 20 3,894 11-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Narukami