Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Concrete
According to Rome:Total War (an event window that pops up) The "Porticus Aemilia" near the Tiber was the First Concrete building.
In the message it states that it consisted of:

Rubble
Mortar
Volcanic Ash
Water

and formed inside of wooden moulds.

I wonder if there is more detail and if anyone knows or has tried the mixture ratios.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
It was the earliest in Rome, apparently. The Porticus Aemila was a huge warehouse building beside the Tiber docks, originally brick but rebuilt in concrete in 174BC. There's a short description of it, with diagram, here (lower half of the page).

There were probably older concrete buildings around the Bay of Naples area, but they're lost to erosion now. The Romans were using underwater (hydraulic) concrete down there around the 3rd-2nd centuries BC.

A couple of interesting sites:

Roman Concrete Research

An Analysis of Hydraulic Cement in Roman Maritime Structures

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Excellent! Thank You Very Much. I am into construction methods and hoped someone could relay something like this. I am complete crap at researching stuff on the internet and pointers like this give me valuable sites to go off of.
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

hi
I live turkey for the add, I'm from Turkish sites.
If tolbar google, you can turn to their own language.
Thank you.

http://www.restoraturk.com/koruma-ve-re ... harci.html

Romans, especially in the underground tunnels were used rock salt too.
Rock salt is a feature that hardens over time.
A tunnel is made of rock salt is very difficult to break down or drill. Big Grin
sebastia
Craig, have you looked at Vitruvius? Here he discusses concrete. If you are interested in Roman building methods I bet you will love most of this work. I find him fascinating.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Awesome! Now I have seen Vitruvius. I am impressed.
Craig Bellofatto

If you are into methods and techniques then the book Roman Building: Methods and Techniques by Jean Pierre Adam is simply the only book to consider. Expensive, so maybe a library loan. I bought the first edition some years ago and it is a fantastic book.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Early concrete vaulting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_domes
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Thanks for the tip, Barry. I went and ordered it. Who knows, I may have a Roman villa to build someday .....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:If you are into methods and techniques then the book Roman Building: Methods and Techniques by Jean Pierre Adam is simply the only book to consider. Expensive, so maybe a library loan. I bought the first edition some years ago and it is a fantastic book.

Yes, indeed highly recommended.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Thanks for the tip, Barry. I went and ordered it. Who knows, I may have a Roman villa to build someday .....

Then this is the book for you! :lol: Good luck with that villa.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum Rounded Corners- Is There Concrete Evidence? Matt Lukes 8 2,297 11-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS