Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek texts
hi
my forum, to read an inscription in Greek letters, pictures of the rocks came.
This inscription was destroyed.
selected letters can not be complete.
Can you give me a hint at least?
Just read a piece.
Thank you. Big Grin

[Image: 3schi.jpg]

[Image: 244y62d.jpg]

[Image: 3515mjd.jpg]

[Image: f5jjn.jpg]

[Image: io270m.jpg]
sebastia
Mmm,dificult to make out. They seem early archaic and they might be written "voustropheidon", meaning that one line starts from the right(or up) and when the space ends,the line turns towards the oposite direction, like the oxes plough. That's what it litterally means. Now,i'm not entirely sure about this either,but it's a possibility. Another interesting thing is that the letters don't seem carved in the rock as usual, but sculptured out of it. Is this true,or it's just my false impression from the photos? Where is this inscription?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I would so thanks a lot for your help. Big Grin
pictures are from turkey, Malatya city.
the writings on the rock reliefs.
I wanted new pictures.
To read the article more clearly.
Reading the text is very difficult.
If it comes here new pictures I loading.
best regards.
sebastia
Quote:Mmm,dificult to make out. They seem early archaic and they might be written "voustropheidon", meaning that one line starts from the right(or up) and when the space ends,the line turns towards the oposite direction, like the oxes plough. That's what it litterally means. Now,i'm not entirely sure about this either,but it's a possibility. Another interesting thing is that the letters don't seem carved in the rock as usual, but sculptured out of it. Is this true,or it's just my false impression from the photos? Where is this inscription?
Khaire
Giannis

"voustropheidon"
oxes
litterally

hi
What these three words mean?
I do not understand.
Thank you. Big Grin
sebastia
More commonly knows as boustrophedon (modern Greek is loose with it's labials). It's a way the text is written. Like Giannis said, instead of being linear, as in left to right or right to left, it reads in a way that is like how an ox eats on the pasture.

This Wikipedia article has some nice examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boustrophedon
Hi everybody.

I don't want to burst any boustrophedon bubbles, but it looks to me as if picture 3 is simply upside down? I can see that it looks as if the epsilons are reversed, but have a look at the deltas. They are upside down, aren't they? Also, the shape of the epsilon look very late. I'm not going to make any specific guesses as to the time period, but they look 'CE' to me.

Christian
dear christian. you are right about pictures. pictures on the rock are not smooth. ? have just revized an repaired them. they are now smooth. ? have sent them to you. thanks your help..Big Grin

[Image: 244y62d.jpg]

[Image: 15229841.jpg]

[Image: 68085570.jpg]

[Image: 10534749.jpg]
sebastia