Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldiers Admonition
Ave Fratres,

On another thread, there was the standard military admonition, "Eyes Open, Head Down" . I have heard that used over a lifetime, as a greeting, farewell and as practical advice. I was just wondering , does it have antecedents to our period, or is it more modern in development? Would such an admonition make sense to your standard legionary soldier or would it be more something like " Marius, keep your eyes open and shield up" .

We have experts on so many different areas on RAT, maybe there is some literary or epigraphic evidence on some sort of standard admonition?

It is very hot here, work is slow, as all of the government offices are on holiday and the international community is either on holiday or finishing their rotation, that leaves me a lot of time for wondering about things like this.

Any thoughts?

Eyes open and shield up!

Regards from a very Hot Balkan Frontier, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
I've read that, "He's seen an elephant" is a relatively modern expression for one having endured real combat, But it sounds like the type of expression which would originate among legionnaires after having faced war elephants in battle and would then morph into the meaning we have today.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
What's Latin for "Don't volunteer for anything"? Good advice in any era.
Pecunia non olet
Only too true.

Ron Andrea
Nunquam nomen dare. That could be close.

But for Romans, if I understand the military culture, not volunteering (giving your name, so to speak) would be tantamount to cowardice.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:What's Latin for "Don't volunteer for anything"? Good advice in any era.

Volunteer for everything and your commander, boss (or drill sergeant) will start to ignore you. :twisted:
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Or be smart enough to volunteer for the tasks which you'd rather do. Not waiting to be randomly selected. "I want three volunteers: you, you, and you."

Ron Andrea