Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honorific Cognomina
Hi All,

I'm currently working on my PHD into military loyalty and the Roman Army 235-395 AD.

I was looking for some help on the issue of honorific cognomina in the 3rd century. In particular I keep seeing mentions (unreferenced) on the net to III Augusta holding the title Iterum Pia Iterum Vindex from 253 onwards. However I can find no mention of this in Fitz (Hon. titles of roman mil. units) or Le Bohec's exhaustive book on the legion. Is anyone aware of a reference for this honorific title?

cheers,
Mark
Quote:In particular I keep seeing mentions (unreferenced) on the net to III Augusta holding the title Iterum Pia Iterum Vindex from 253 onwards.
I have never noticed this. Dessau does not list this as a possible title for III Augusta. However, I am glad that you raised the subject, as it made me do a little digging.

I notice that Ritterling restored CIL VIII 2482 as follows:

pro sal(ute) d(ominorum) n(ostrorum) Valeriani et Gallieni ... Augus]t(orum) mil(ites) l[eg(ionis III Augustae II p(iae) v(indicis) re]stitutae e Raet(ia) Gemell(as) regressi ...

Here the legion's name is lost in a lacuna in the text, but Ritterling restores it as legio III Augusta iterum pia vindex. I have no idea why he felt confident enough to suggest that particular restoration -- I do not have his section on III Augusta here, which would surely provide the key -- but he was maybe prompted by the fragmentary CIL VIII 2852:

C(aius) Cornelius Flo]rentinus >(centurio) leg(ionis) III Aug(ustae) II Pi[ae --] | [--]OIC[--]A tab(ularius) castr(ense) evok(atus) E[--] | [--]E[--]raet vixit a[nn(os) --

Here III Augusta appears to carry the title II Pia (?Vindex), i.e. iterum pia (vindex). I can find no other instance of this.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
markhebb:2ubu0txy Wrote:In particular I keep seeing mentions (unreferenced) on the net to III Augusta holding the title Iterum Pia Iterum Vindex from 253 onwards.
I have never noticed this. Dessau does not list this as a possible title for III Augusta. However, I am glad that you raised the subject, as it made me do a little digging.

I notice that Ritterling restored CIL VIII 2482 as follows:

pro sal(ute) d(ominorum) n(ostrorum) Valeriani et Gallieni ... Augus]t(orum) mil(ites) l[eg(ionis III Augustae II p(iae) v(indicis) re]stitutae e Raet(ia) Gemell(as) regressi ...

Here the legion's name is lost in a lacuna in the text, but Ritterling restores it as legio III Augusta iterum pia vindex. I have no idea why he felt confident enough to suggest that particular restoration -- I do not have his section on III Augusta here, which would surely provide the key -- but he was maybe prompted by the fragmentary CIL VIII 2852:

C(aius) Cornelius Flo]rentinus >(centurio) leg(ionis) III Aug(ustae) II Pi[ae --] | [--]OIC[--]A tab(ularius) castr(ense) evok(atus) E[--] | [--]E[--]raet vixit a[nn(os) --

Here III Augusta appears to carry the title II Pia (?Vindex), i.e. iterum pia (vindex). I can find no other instance of this.

Thanks for this. Fitz does include this in his work but only in a footnote lists it as 'questionable' - that was my guess where it came from as well.
While I think of it - this is an interesting phenomenon when we consider the numerical salutations of Pia Fidelis found on the legionary coinage of Gallienus - which interestingly does not include III Augusta