Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ORL maps
This will scarcely be news to German (and perhaps other) members, but there is a superb set of maps that covers the whole length of the Obergermanisch-Raetische Limes from the Rhine to the Danube. I came across these after my road-testing of the new Hadrian's Wall map so they form an interesting comparison.

The ORL maps are available individually or as a set (with an explanatory booklet - all in German, naturally) and are part of the German bid for WHS status for the ORL. At a uniform scale of 1:50000, they include the routes of both the footpath and cycle path that follows the frontier, as well as the course of the frontier and the various sites and an indication of whether they can be seen or not. Each has screeds of (arguably unnecessary) text but is cleverly designed so that the folds work well.

Many of the maps I already possessed in pockets in the back of the 1980s Theiss series of books on the ORL, but not really in such a convenient format (and you don't want to part your books from your maps, now do you!).

Read more about the ORL here (where there is a Google maps version of the whole frontier, complete with annotations) and get the maps as a set from here or, as I did, here. Some are also available individually from Amazon.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the heads up!
Quote: or, as I did, here. Some are also available individually from Amazon.
The page says that the item is not yet available?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:The page says that the item is not yet available?

Hmmm, bizarrely, having ordered them before the weekend (I bought them from an Amazon Market dealer listed there as they shipped internationally, unlike amazon.de) and received them yesterday, now they are not listed! There are other places that have the set, such as here (where you need to drill down to find it - Karten -> Freizeitführer -> Kartenbestellung -> LIMES-SET for €29.80).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there