Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goldsworthy\'s \'Roman Warfare\'
Just recently saw Goldsworthy's 'Roman Warfare' in paperback. A nice, compact book which, I presume, is simply the hardcover reduced in size (and price). Yet I have my doubts and would like to know if (a) this book is a must-have, and (b) are there any differences (apart from size of course) btw the paperback and the hardback? I like the idea of owning a large, hefty book but if the smaller PB delivers the same quality goods, then the much cheaper price is a welcome bonus. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uauxilia.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Auxilia</A> at: 9/16/02 3:42:07 am<br></i>
Well, I haven't seen the paperback version, so I can't help you there. I really enjoyed the book as a nice overview of the tactics of the Roman Army from the early Republic to the late empire. It was easy to read (and therefore digest and remember), and the diagrams and battle maps added nicely to his descriptions of certain battles. I am sure some of his ideas are in conflict with this and that, but overall, two thumbs up here. <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
Yes it is a reduced size and price - the Greek one is also available as are several others in the Cassell range although I haven't seen The Art of Warfare yet by van Creveld.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi / Murray <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
So I won't be missing out on anything in the HB if I bought the PB, is that correct? Still, just flipped through the HB at a military bookstore the other day and although it's almost twice the price of the PB (AUS$60 HB - AUS$35 PB), for an extra $25 I could get this nice hefty book which, like Connoly's <i> Greece and Rome at War</i>, would be a tactile pleasure whilst reading it.<br>
<br>
I guess it's the bibliophile in me. Why just get a book that's a good read when you can get a book that's a good read AND beautiful to handle too. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uauxilia.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Auxilia</A> at: 9/16/02 10:50:14 pm<br></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
I - tragic bibliophile - am going for both - large tactile bookshelf and portable referable copy. Oh dear what would my wife say?<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi / Murray <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adrian Goldsworthy\'s The Complete Roman Army Et tu brute 20 4,375 11-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Virilis