Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscled Cuirasses of Boiled Leather?
Quote:Boiled leather cuirasses? It seems there may be something in it, at least according to Raffaele D’Amato and Graham Sumner in their new book 'Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier 112BC-AD192',

Quote:There are already several LONG threads on this topic, if you do some searching and digging.

Have we ever established who originated this theory ? Strange that we have been debating it at great length for so long without knowing its author.
I have a feeling the theory is a late-nineteenth century concoction since post-medieval artists depicted Romans wearing quasi-medieval armor (i.e. metalic).

I realize the answer probably isn't very important since the theory has gained some scholarly advocates. But these same scholars should be able to trace the origin and evolution of the theory if they persist in presenting it to learned skeptics and amateurs. This thread is not the best place to do that but can we at least get ONE name ?

~Theo
Jaime
I personally still am higly opposed to this theory.

The only ones to my knowledge adding decorations in cuir bouilli on their armour were medieval tournament knights and the Samurai.

Of those we have an abundance of examples.

The Roman lorica musculata was most definetely not made of leather, no matter what some statues suggest.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enamelled cuirasses? ParthianBow 8 2,423 01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Was the leather muscled curiass of the later times sexier? wulfgar60 51 8,643 11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  hastati and boiled armour Catiline 5 1,986 01-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale