Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food, any good books?
Does anyone know of any good books or references to food preparation? I know a lot of bread, oil, and wine but am more interested in recipes for the opson part of the meal.

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

I can recommend the book "Siren Feasts: A History of Food and Gastronomy in Greece" by Andrew Dalby.
It contains less recipes, but gives a good aproach on Food in Greece from prehistorical Greece to the post classical era. Dalby describes common Foodtypes, Spices and tries to reconstruct Greek meals, all based on ancient literature sources.
There is also a "Classical Cookbook" written by him, which I unfortunately have not read yet.
Kind regards
Strategos
Strategos
(Willi Miesen)

Athenian Hoplite
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de]
Quote:Food, any good books?
In my experience, books aren't that good for food. Hard to chew, and harder to digest. Heh. (don't kill me) Lots of fiber, though, so maybe -- :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
You can check about food and drink in the "civ talk! section.
Kind regards
Never even noticed we had a civilian section. Cool thanks,

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

The Philospher's Kitchen is excellent.

Thanks
Cole
Cole