Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Vindolanda-style\' archive found in The Netherlands
Want my login codes ??

Tongue mrgreen:

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Want my login codes ??
If that could be arranged...

Actually, we ought to have a common access for RAT-members. It might be interesting to check out whether that is possible.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:But as long as organizations like JSTOR can lock behind big doors the most recent information we have a serious problem.
Ah, the notorious "moving wall", whereby JSTOR only gives access to journal volumes that are at least 5 years old ... provided you have access permission in the first place! :x
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I know that Universities can apply and do so, and RAT getting more and more well known out there i think the Jstor org should be able to recognise the board for what it is.

At least the Royal NL library will have all their books without copyright scanned soon by Google..

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:
Jona Lendering:2291a9u6 Wrote:But as long as organizations like JSTOR can lock behind big doors the most recent information we have a serious problem.
Ah, the notorious "moving wall", whereby JSTOR only gives access to journal volumes that are at least 5 years old ... provided you have access permission in the first place! :x
And isn't that sad? Right now, archaeology is facing a data explosion (more), and we're not supposed to read about it, and are forced to stick to outdated information.
Jona Lendering
My website
...well, actually the trouble is:
We get a whole lot more prospected (and ripped ?!)
[>modern and cheap prospection methods]
and a whole lot less researched today
[>public funds have cut quite short; public institutions slashed,; private funds mostly for "well-publicised" prospections/excavations/research and in all not enough to cope for the loss in public money needed for really reseaching what has been found].
I can't see a "speeding up" in analyzing the finds and publicising it in general. Sad roll: ]
Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
@Jona: I share your concern.
Lindsay Powell
[url:1j6646pm]http://www.Lindsay-Powell.com[/url] website
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
It´s a bit better here... the excavation companies MUST publish within a given time (I think it´s two years), or they won´t be payed. Solves the problem completely.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Indeed that is a rule they should implement here too.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Indeed that is a rule they should implement here too.
It is already a rule for the commercial companies. The main trouble is the universities - you know, the ones who are now asking for money ("Odysseussubsidies") to look at finds they did long time ago, but were never published, because they did not know how to manage a budget. And our delightfully friendly minister of education actually gives them this award for poor bookkeeping!
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cavalry altar found at Vindolanda Robert Vermaat 1 323 12-14-2021, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Wooden toilet seat found at Vindolanda richsc 24 4,314 09-08-2014, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Manius Acilius Italicus
  New Coolus Helmet Found in the Netherlands? jho 4 2,038 03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs