Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a good lorica hamata
Make one!!!! :-) It will be far sweeter than a bought one. Think of how proud you will be of it when it is complete. It may take three months to complete, but you can work on it an hour a night while watching TV and get it done during the winter.
MARCVS VELIVS AVITVS (Reid Neilsen)
LEGIO VII GEMINA FELIX
"SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERUDITIONIS HABES"

http://www.whitemountainforge.com
Quote:Make one!!!! :-) It will be far sweeter than a bought one. Think of how proud you will be of it when it is complete. It may take three months to complete, but you can work on it an hour a night while watching TV and get it done during the winter.

Well, at current rates and quality of Indian riveted mail, I wouldn't make one myself. At least in Europe butted mail now starts to be unacceptable in most serious groups, and 6mm riveted getting to be the norm.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi Jurgen,
Interesting comment that butted mail seems to be unacceptable in Europe as the only mail I have seen here in Chester, from the barrack excavations, is all butted and quite large diameter too so maybe the case is not so cut and dried as people think.
There appears to be examples of finds from all over that still are not on record languishing in museum storage and because they don't show on the academic radar could cause us to make some serious errors in our conclutions.

Regards,
Gary.
\\" I just need something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.\\" Q.O.T.S.A

Gary Rodwell
aka Gaius Longius Deva Victrix Chester Garrison
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romantoursuk.com">http://www.romantoursuk.com
Now, that sounds interesting. Any more data? (Ring diameter en dating?)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi Jurgen,
I will try and get some photo's for you and measurements of the rings.

We have a great Keeper of Antiquities here at Chester, a great lass called Liz Royal who has started to bring out to the world stuff that has been in the bowls of the museum, and uncatalogued since the 1930's, simply because no one had the time and rescources.

If what has been excavated is only a small part of what was our past, then we are actually basing our impressions on an even smaller sample of the finds i.e the published ones.
Who knows what is lurking in museum collections all over Europe? Might even be something that one day makes us all look like a bunch of monkeys.:grin: :grin: :grin:

Regards,

Gary.
\\" I just need something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.\\" Q.O.T.S.A

Gary Rodwell
aka Gaius Longius Deva Victrix Chester Garrison
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romantoursuk.com">http://www.romantoursuk.com
Quote:The best lorica hamata that money can buy is custom made by Erik Schmid. There is NO ONE better than he at making such a shirt. Just about all the shirts currently made come from India. They are ok. However, if you want the best, I know that Erik has changed his prices lately and made them more affordable. You will have to contact him for further info. Some of his shirts are in museums as are some original shirts that he has repaired.

www.erikds.com

[email protected]

Salvete,

Without risk of bothering Erik Schmid on mundane e-mails, anyone familiar with him know when his website will be updated and back online? A click on the link only states that it is undergoing transformation and last updated on 4.11. How about the forum member "Doc", perhaps?

As yet I am in the very preliminary stages of reconstruction research but I am curious whether he could provide one item of kit that I'd be interested in. All other manufactures of hamata appear to have too narrow shoulder doubling from what I have read thus far on this forum. Hopefully, more in depth reference sources are mere days away from my mailbox, (ordered).

For that type of investment I would prefer to spend a little more, wait a little longer and have something which cannot be so easily refuted by the current experts.

Valete,

B. Yurko Mikels
Sextus Mummius Tiro

Aut disce, aut discede!
Either learn, or leave!
I also would be interested to see if the Romans actually used butted maille...

Legion: TBD
Hi, to anyone who is interested in lorica hamata i can recommend:
L. Hansen, Die Panzerung der Kelten (Kiel 2003)
He has in his catalogue also roman hamata finds.

For Chester he mentions only three fragments of stamped and riveted rings:
Manning, Catalogue of the Romano-Britisch Iron Tools, Fittings and Weapons in the British Museum (London 1985, 146

Butted rings were found in Dura Europos, but are attested there only for the bronze rings and these are probably all from edge trimming (James 2010, 110-111).

In Thorsberg are some butted bronze rings, as it seems also from the edge, but whether these are roman oder germanic is still a question...

There are some more examples from Maiden Castle, Woodeaton (bronze!), Carnuntum (bronze!) and perhaps Stanwick.
regards
noxia /Suzi
The only Roman mail that was butted was the bronze trim - i.e. decoration, not the armour iteself.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Thanks for that bit of info, it has given me some ideas! Idea :grin:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather Weight for Lorica Hamata Shoulder flap? Andy B 2 2,175 01-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Last Post: agrimensor
  Lorica Hamata materials dengland 7 3,073 04-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Redguru
  Lorica hamata ring type M. Val. Naso 6 2,922 01-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Cavok