Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Greaves - edging/wearing questions
Hi all,

I'm just about to wrap up a pair of centurion's greaves (pics below) that I raised out of 26 g steel, but I'm not sure the best way to do the edging. I'm looking into mid-1st C in case that makes a difference. I'm seeing what look like rolled edges out there, but also simply flared edges at the knee and ankles. I'm also seeing (in the Greek context) leather edges, and simply plain edges. Is there a consensus for what might be realistic for the time period?

After trying them over my caligae I was a bit perplexed as to how they fit over the ankle of the boot. It seems kind of bulky. Any of you have first hand experience with avoiding this?

There's a good thread here on the straps, which provides some examples from gladiatorial mosaics, so I'm pretty sure I'll need to fasten about 6 rings per greave for the leather straps.

--Kelsey
[attachment=2:20p0t090]<!-- ia2 greaves1.JPG<!-- ia2 [/attachment:20p0t090]
[attachment=1:20p0t090]<!-- ia1 greaves2.JPG<!-- ia1 [/attachment:20p0t090]
[attachment=0:20p0t090]<!-- ia0 greaves3.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:20p0t090]
Kelsey McLeod
Line them with sheepskin or felt.
I have seen a few which seem to be shaped over the foot,
Nice work though, hot forged?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well done, reminds me of my own greaves, also raised in steel. Cold hammered. I simply glued a thin leather ling in and cut it at the edges so it runs parallel. If you wish, you could punch tiny holes all along the outer edge, fold the lining over and sow it in place, either would seem perfect. If you haven't lined them yet I might urge you to have the knee protrude some more, this will be to your legs benefit when standing upright. Take a picture from someone's leg from the side and you'll understand what I mean.
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Yes these were raised over a rounded stake mostly. I did use a section of 2" pipe I had laying about as the form on which I did a lot of the planishing around the lower half, which helped quite a bit. Most of the work was of course the contracting of the metal around the calf.

I have some 2-3 oz goatskin which I could use for the lining -- thanks for that advice. I think I will wrap it around and sew it to the edge like you said Smile I may also dye the leather red to give it some color.

Out of curiosity, do your greaves stop above the caligae ankle straps or do they go over them?

Oh, and as for the knees, I know what you mean... after getting the angles right for the shin bones while I was doing the raising, I dished the knees a bit too. They touch when I'm standing straight but know I wonder with the padding I might want to dish them a bit more. We'll see :wink:

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
I wouldn't stitch through holes around the edge unless you can find an archeological piece with holes. I may be forgetting something, but nothing I can think of from first or 2nd century AD has those holes. So better just to glue the lining in. Rolled edges should be fine, we see those on segmentata parts, etc.

Nice work!! Making greaves that actually fit is VERY difficult, so congratulations.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks Matthew Smile 2wnialy8]http://www.royalarmouries.org/visit-us/leeds/leeds-galleries/war/early-warfare[/url] pair of greaves from 375 BC. They have the rings for straps and appear to have been edged with leather around the knee and ankles. But, yes, definitely off the time period.

The facilis stele show's a fairly pronounced ridge above the knee. Perhaps, like on the last segment of a segmentata sleeve, the metal around the knee is rolled in then flared out. That would certainly be more comfortable.

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
Good link to the armoury. My own photos have too much reflection from the glass on them!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wearing greaves on the march ParthianBow 14 2,540 03-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Roman Brass Greaves Questions Pointer 8 1,851 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Wearing Late Roman Helmets Salvianus 8 2,267 01-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat