Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little help with an essay
Evenin' folks, just thought I would ask on some pointers for my essay here.

So I am in Year 12 doing extension history and military history is always my number one choice (is there anything else :mrgreen: )
Started the project about 6 months ago and it's going reasonably well. It is due on Friday so I have a week. Always loved Rome Total War particularly the barbarian invasion expansion so that's what I have decided to do.
The task consists of a 2500 word essay (on our own choice obviously) as well as synopsis, annotated bibliography etc.

My question that I have been doing is
Evaluate the impact of barbarian influence on Roman military from the reign of Emperor Hadrian in 117 AD to the fall of the Western empire in 476 AD

Not looking to do too many significant changes at this stage but some pointers would be nice, as it stands its a little long and after looking through some stuff on your site it looks like I have likely missed a tonne of important stuff Cry

To avoid plagiarism, let me know and I will PM you the essay as opposed to posting it publicly.

Thanks for your time, you don't have to read the whole thing
Stewart Pope
Are you including the reduction of "native" Italian soldiers and the increase of "barbarian" mercenaries as time goes on? Some say this led to massive changes in the army, in its customs, and of course in tactics.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:My question that I have been doing is
Evaluate the impact of barbarian influence on Roman military from the reign of Emperor Hadrian in 117 AD to the fall of the Western empire in 476 AD
In just 2500 words??? Confusedhock:

Frostee, you should write your real (first) name in your signature (profile), that a rule here.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
In most cases one word can describe the situation. "S.N.A.F.U" is that word! :lol: P.M. me if one needs elaboration.

I would love to read it at the very least! I don't know much about the period and would like to know more.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Thanks folks, I'll PM the essay out to those interested. Whether or not you read it, it can't hurt :mrgreen:
And yes I have included the use of locally raised troops on border provinces as opposed to those of Roman origin

Your sig rule is odd, but okay
Stewart Pope
I liked it! I wish there were more essays like this on RAT.
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Thanks Big Grin

When I have handed it in I will post it up online for you all next week. Hell I might stick around too.
Rome is a pretty cool guy, he took over half the world and doesn't afraid of anything
Stewart Pope
Hope you do stick around! Be careful though for me it has become an addiction... :lol:
Craig Bellofatto

Quote:Thanks Big Grin

When I have handed it in I will post it up online for you all next week. Hell I might stick around too.
Rome is a pretty cool guy, he took over half the world and doesn't afraid of anything

I'd be interested in reading this too Stew. Rome was a city full of guys, some cooler than others....which one are you refering to? :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
PM sent
Stewart Pope
Quote:Rome was a city full of guys, some cooler than others....which one are you refering to?
Always right on balance, aren't you? Must come from living a hundred feet above the water, eh? :roll: :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:Rome was a city full of guys, some cooler than others....which one are you refering to?
Always right on balance, aren't you? Must come from living a hundred feet above the water, eh? :roll: :wink:

Whaaaa....how high????????. ooo-errr i feel dizzy and disorientated suddenly Confusedhock: Confusedhock: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If I was to nominate any one cool guy it would have to be the guy that created Rome's first fire service (was it a Cassius?)
So despicably evil. Wait till someones home is on fire then offer only to put it out if they sell the house to you. Haha

edit: Marcus Crassus. Found the article on cracked.com
Stewart Pope
Fire Sale!!! Everything MUST go! Discount on damaged goods... Get it while it's hot! :roll:

Wasn't there a group of people that volunteered before then for fire duty? Kind of a big deal in a city environment especially in those times.
Craig Bellofatto

You may be talking about the Vigilis (vigilant ones). They were sort of like fire/police/nightwatchmen volunteers. I rather doubt that all of them were strictly honorable and honest, but then, I've become rather cynical about those things.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.