Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thespian shield device
"If you come on the scene without having studied, would you be an Improv Thespian?"

LOL, good one David!

Actually I feel a bit like an 'Improv Thespian', I thought I had done my homework on the topic of Thespian shield devices, however Stefanos has presented me with two more choices that I had somehow overlooked in my research, the man is a expert when it comes to Greek heraldry.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I am not a genius.
I simply dare to challenge established orthodoxy on the matter.

There are many example of "irregular" armies adopting a "common" emblem.
So why it is denied for the "regular" armies of ancient Greece?

If you bring the subject to men with military service they are positive on the idea.

Kind regards
In basic training we were told to come up with a mascot/slogan for each training platoon to instill pride in the units. We became the "Widow Makers" with a Black Widow spider as an Icon. Kind of strange for a bunch of guys but it worked! Big Grin Psychology I don't think has changed much in any military as we are all still human. Units agreeing on an Icon reflects attitude of soldiers more than anything else to me.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Exactly Craig.

In my recon unit each squadron had its animal: "Eagles", "Lions", "Panthers", "Hawks"

I for got also to mention Carl Jung's "Man and his symbols" as good guide in such matters

Kind regards
"If the hoplite belonged to a family with priestly duties white with a red edging is appropriate (priests were hereditary in Ancient Greece)"

This color appeals to me on a personal level, my father is a minister/missionary, my grandfather and great grandfather were also ministers and I have worked in my fathers ministry at various times over the years.

Should the chiton and cloak both consist of these colors?

Also, do you or anyone else have any suggestions for a supplier of these items? I have found one 'Greek tunic' offered by Windlass Steelcrafts sold at several online stores, but it is only available in two sizes and one color.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
No accurate greek chiton in the market. there are many threads here in RAT that guide you on how to make your own chiton,in a variety of styles. It's really easy in fact.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thank you for your reply Giannis, I did notice in the other threads that many have made their own and I am impressed with the results, not sure if this is within my very limited creative abilities :| Obviously the originals were handmade and it would not hurt to purchase some material and experiment I guess, actually I did not care for the one by Windlass anyway, besides being the wrong color for my purpose it has a neat or 'store-bought' look and bears little resemblance to those depicted in vase paintings etc.

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
If your local cloth store has linen or pure wool of 1.5 meter width then a fully grown man needs 2,5 meters for a "doric" chiton.
Yes color consistency white-red would be OK for priestly families.
Kind regards
Stefanos, your advice has been invaluable to me concerning these last few items for my panoply (shield emblem, chiton etc) and I thank you for that! Big Grin

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Here is a good source for 100% linen in the US. It comes from Ukraine, but they import it and take care of all that mundane customs, inspection, etc. stuff, and still offer pretty good prices.
Fabrics-store.com
Here, you can get some good 100% wool, in various colors.
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catal ... px?TypID=5
http://www.bblackandsons.com/

In either case, wool or linen, if you stick with a solid color, there is very little sewing involved in making a chiton. Basically, all you really have to do is something to keep the raw edges from unravelling if you put the cut edge at the top and bottom. Since most of these fabrics are around 59" wide, you can use the factory edge at top and bottom. and just sew up the tube on the sides. Not much to that. If you need some pointers on sewing, PM me and I'll tell you what I know. :wink: Heck, I could tell you everything I know and it wouldn't take very long. :roll:

Hope that helps.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks for the info David, however you may regret the offer to help, I have a lot of questions! :? lol

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Another Thespian shield example:
Thank you Stefanos,

Always good to have options! Smile

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
As I have repeatedly pointed out on threads elsewhere, there is no evidence whatsoever for "Ancient Greek Heraldry", and none for "Clan" or "city" designs during the Persian Wars.( other than the later 'letters' such as the famous lambda for Sparta, or trident for Mantinea etc)

At the time of Thermopylae it is all but certain that shield designs carried by Thespians would have been as individualised as other contemporary Greek Warriors shields seem to have been. All else is pure speculation, and we simply have no real evidence or knowledge. To continue to advocate a 'speculative' Heraldry is dangerous, because as the designs are copied and spread, the speculative origin becomes lost and the facts blurred and 'speculation' becomes 'fact' in the eyes of many - a 'myth' which is difficult to eradicate........

A good example is the idea that Thespians wore black cloaks. The source for this ( as I have related here on RAT before, yet it still persists! Sad lol: :lol: :lol:

The vase Stefanos has presented does not in fact definitely show a Thespian at all. The association is circular. Having speculated that Thespians supposedly used a moon design, a depiction of a moon design is therefore Thespian !

The vase is an ATTIC red-figure style for a start, and post-Persian wars in date ( a deduction based on style, since Stefanos did not supply the details of it)
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thespian Hoplites and black armour scotti73 21 6,795 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius