Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thespian shield device
I have tentatively chosen the crescent moon as a shield device for my Thespian panoply, however there seems to be some debate over what the Thespians actually used as shield devices, does anyone have any input or suggestions?

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Based on their coinage and Pauasanias "Beotica" on the cults of "Melena Aphordite" and "Hecate" the cressent is safe bet.
The colours can be deducted from here:
http://www.marefa.org/images/2/24/200px ... _CA214.jpg (1st hoplite from the left).

Athenian pottery gives some other cressent variations.
It also gives the dog device - symbol of Hekate

Those belonging to the SPARTOI clan (vere few in Thespiae actually) would carry a snake and also had a spear point embroided on their chiton if we trust Plutarch.

Kind regards
Thanks for the advice Stephanos, you are not the first to caution me concerning the 'black cloaks' of Thespiae, the editor of 'The Sparta Journal' is also doubtful of this as far as what the Thespians who fought at Thermopylae may have worn. I realize that sometimes we may have to rely on a bit of educated speculation and that specifics can be difficult, I have purchased a 'bell curaiss' and a typical Corinthian helm with black crest, I am uncertain though as far as what type and color of chiton and cloak I should purchase to best represent the 700 Thespians of Thermopylae, if you or anyone else have any suggestions please let me know.

Dithyrambus

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
What is the social status of the hoplite? (middleclass aristokrat)
Is he a farmer, a craftsman or a trader? (Traders might carry "unusual" items)

Red was popular military color associated with Ares-the war god.

If the hoplite belonged to a family with priestly duties white with a red edging is appropriate (priests were hereditary in Ancient Greece)

If family could prove links to he "Heroic Age" royalty, purple was allowed too. (at least in the cloth edging or on the shield)

Kind regards
Dithyrambus was cited by Herodotus as being the most valiant of the Thespians at Thermopylae, Steven Pressfield in his book 'Gates of Fire' refers to him as a commander of the Thespian contingent (Herodotus names Demophilos as the Thespian commander), if so I would assume that he was of an aristocratic background.

Thanks

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
So what would a hoplite from Elis have on his aspice
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Dr Nicholas Sekunda in his book: 'The ancient Greeks' which is part of the Osprey Publishing series on ancient arms and armor, depicts an Eleian hoplite with a shield device depicting an eagle gripping a serpent in it's talons, this would make sense as the eagle is considered an emblem relevant to Zeus. The use of the eagle to signify Zeus is also confirmed by G.H. Chase in his book: 'The shield devices of the Greeks in art and literature' pub. 1902.

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
At the time of Thermopylae the Elians probably had a stylize version of the thunderbolt (nothing certain I am still working on it.)

The Thepian leader was Demophilos son of Diadromos.
The best fighter was Dithyrambos.

If Dempohpilos was a SPARTOS (unknown) the snake would be on his shield

Chances are that the Thespian leader would carry something like that:
The use of an image of Eros as a Thespian shield device had not occured to me, this is an interesting ideal and it fits with the Thespians known worship of Eros. The guys at Danyal Steel Crafts are waiting for me to give the go ahead to construct my aspes, you may have just changed my mind concerning my choice of device.

Thanks Stefanos!

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Thanls for the answers both of you.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Actually this combines both cults.
Heros (winged torso) and Hecate worshiped as Heleithea (dog body)

Tall crest then is more appropriate for helmet.

But as I said this might be the emblem of Demophilos and not Ditherambos.

Kind regards
Hmm, I suppose I could change my sceen name to Demophilos, my main goal is to simply represent the Thespians who fought and died so bravely at Thermopylae and I do like the Eros image!

Thanks Stefanos!

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
So you want to be the leader no matter what eh? (joke)

Well the spirit of Late Paul All if is watching will be very pleased.

Kind regards.
Quote:my main goal is to simply represent the Thespians
If you come on the scene without having studied, would you be an Improv Thespian? 8)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I did the same thing when I first started on RAT. The people that have helped me have gained my respect and my incessant questions! :lol: I remember when I first looked at the pages I saw information and assumed it was all there. I was wrong!
There were more pages; I hadn't found the icon for them yet. I felt very embarrassed. Afterwards I searched many, many threads and learned quite a bit compared to when I started. I bookmarked the longer ones to keep coming back to. As a result I have seen threads ranging from 2006 to present and all were informative. I just want to say thanks to everyone. I still want those dolphins on a shield at some point!
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thespian Hoplites and black armour scotti73 21 6,815 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius